Bloody disease!

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2010 at 9:25 am

Apologies for the English profanity:)

So sad and angry to read about Stacey’s hubby’s plight and my thoughts are with them.

I want to add ‘bloody doctors’ too.

Maybe its good to get angry sometimes and helps the body to fight? Or maybe being placid is better? Yes, the latter, I hear you say.

I am reminded of the Dylan Thomas poem

“Do not go gentle into that good night,
      Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
      Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”

The same applies to illness.

But he was a drunkard, lucky chap ๐Ÿ™‚ wish I felt well enough to drink too ๐Ÿ™‚

Seems to me, we use up a huge amount of emotional resource fighting the illness and the medics with bow ties – and in the US, the insurance companies and in the UK the slow and overburdened NHS.

The divine geometer got some bits wrong I think:)

John

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2010 at 11:30 am

[QUOTE=ukguytemp]Apologies for the English profanity:)
      Maybe its good to get angry sometimes and helps the body to fight? Or maybe being placid is better? Yes, the latter, I hear you say.

I am reminded of the Dylan Thomas poem

“Do not go gentle into that good night,
      Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
      Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”

The same applies to illness.

[I][COLOR=”Navy”]I’d thought of Dylan Thomas a few days ago. And came to the conclusion that age has much to do with fighting or not. As for me, Thomas got it right if speaking of illness, but wrong as far as age is concerned.[/COLOR][/I]

But he was a drunkard, lucky chap ๐Ÿ™‚ wish I felt well enough to drink too ๐Ÿ™‚

Seems to me, we use up a huge amount of emotional resource fighting the illness and the medics with bow ties – and in the US, the insurance companies and in the UK the slow and overburdened NHS.

[I][COLOR=”Navy”]Think positive? At least that keeps the old brain cells engaged and working! [/COLOR][/I]

John[/QUOTE]

[I][COLOR=”Navy”]As for bloody this or bloody that … I’m not quite sure why it carries such stigma in your country, John. Fill us in?[/COLOR][/I]

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2010 at 11:50 am

Bloody is a kind of low level swear word:)

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I have noticed that dare I drink, whether one or two cocktails or a gallon, (not that i ever was a huge drinker) that the next day my body goes into full revolt and my nervous system is completely blitzed. So basically i steer clear of any drinking whatsoever. This never happened before CIDP and I wonder if it is because of CIDP, or perhaps a bad reaction with the IvIG? Does anyone else have a similar reaction?

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Rocky,

While I’m not an expert, “my people” come from England. Always kind of gotten the impression that “bloody” and “bugger” are English versions of what you might call “the F-bomb”. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think I remember that British radio censors wouldn’t allow Supertramp’s “Bloody Well Right” to be played when it came out.

John…no apologies needed on my behalf; can’t think of another term that describes this disease better!

Elmo

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2010 at 7:28 pm

[QUOTE=Elmo]Rocky,

While I’m not an expert, “my people” come from England. Always kind of gotten the impression that “bloody” and “bugger” are English versions of what you might call “the F-bomb”. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think I remember that British radio censors wouldn’t allow Supertramp’s “Bloody Well Right” to be played when it came out.

John…no apologies needed on my behalf; can’t think of another term that describes this disease better!

Elmo[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Elmo:)

Actually, I’d upgrade the word to stronger one but ‘bloody’ is very expressive.

To Kittisptiz; alcohol is a neuro toxin

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2010 at 7:29 pm

[QUOTE=Elmo]Rocky,

Elmo[/QUOTE]
      and by the way ‘gotten’ is not a word in England – must be the german influence in the US:)

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Hi,

I’m an Aussie with CIDP and I have used the ‘b’ word when describing this rotten disease too!

Kazza

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2010 at 9:34 pm

[QUOTE=Kazza]Hi,

I’m an Aussie with CIDP and I have used the ‘b’ word when describing this rotten disease too!

Kazza[/QUOTE

And I am an American, since struggling with CIDP my new favorite word is F*#@^!!!!

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2010 at 9:59 pm

John,

“Gotten” may just be my hick, western slang! ๐Ÿ™‚

And, while MOST of us are adults, we should all keep in mind that others may be offended by these terms, and there are a few children that frequent the site. Just a thought…

Elmo

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2010 at 10:54 pm

[COLOR=”Navy”]what a twist this subject has taken!

actually, I quite like the term bloody … to my ear that’s very inoffensive.

btw, gotten is American English and is not to be confused with “have got” … I looked it up and that confused me all the more.[/COLOR] ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2010 at 3:18 am

I’m a editor, and have lived and worked on both sides of the Pond. British English sometimes conjugates verbs differently than American English. One example is AmE’s use of ‘gotten’, while BrE uses ‘got’.

Yes, George Bernard Shaw was right: we are two peoples separated by a common language. I learned that the hard way twenty years ago when we moved to England: my young son’s school insisted he have a jumper as part of his uniform. To me a jumper was a dress one wore with a blouse. Here it’s a sweater or sweatshirt.

Oh, and your pants are to be worn under your trousers — unless, of course, you’re Superman. Then you can wear them wherever you want.

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2010 at 6:35 am

[QUOTE=eightplusfive]I’m a editor, and have lived and worked on both sides of the Pond. British English sometimes conjugates verbs differently than American English. One example is AmE’s use of ‘gotten’, while BrE uses ‘got’.

Yes, George Bernard Shaw was right: we are two peoples separated by a common language. I learned that the hard way twenty years ago when we moved to England: my young son’s school insisted he have a jumper as part of his uniform. To me a jumper was a dress one wore with a blouse. Here it’s a sweater or sweatshirt.

Oh, and your pants are to be worn under your trousers — unless, of course, you’re Superman. Then you can wear them wherever you want.

Deb
      London[/QUOTE]
      Hi Deb

Your are so right!

There is a great play by Tom Stoppard “new found land” in which one Englishman asks another ‘what do you think of Americans?’

He then does a 2 page speech which goes sort of…….

“Ah Americans. They speak with a vivid muscularity. They dont stand on ceremony. They mean what they say and say what they mean. They are the first to invite you to their home. They have a natural generosity of spirit. They have boundless optimism.. They dont know the meaning of defeat……..

…….apart from that, I have nothing against them’

๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2010 at 9:15 am

As someone who has lived in Utah for 30 years, I’ve had to struggle to try and maintain a semblance of proper “American” english. Utahns very often seem to be speaking a competely different language!

My first introduction to “BE” was in High School, when I learned that their term for a cigarette was a somewhat offensive AE term for a male homosexual! :). And then there’s what we call an “umbrella”…I won’t even try to spell that one correctly!

Rocky…yes, this thread has “rambled”, but isn’t it nice to talk about something other than “this bloody disease” for a few minutes?

๐Ÿ™‚

Elmo

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2010 at 10:47 am

[QUOTE=Elmo]Rocky…yes, this thread has “rambled”, but isn’t it nice to talk about something other than “this bloody disease” for a few minutes? ๐Ÿ™‚
      Elmo[/QUOTE]

[B][I]Oh, YES !!! [/I][/B] ๐Ÿ˜€

• February 1, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Rocky, didn’t you mean “yup”? ๐Ÿ˜€ Gary