Blood type and autoimmune diseases

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2008 at 7:42 pm

I am reading a book “Eat right for your type” (blood type, that is). It is interesting — not buying into all of it, but it said type B’s are susceptible to autoimmune disease and nervous system diseases (such as lupus, MS, ALS). I got to wondering what blood types are represented here? I am a type B.

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2008 at 8:12 pm

Emily is 0+. I am O+ as well and have endometriosis, which is auto-immune as well.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2008 at 9:07 pm

My blood type is O+.

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Mine is A+

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2008 at 10:17 pm

I checked on the “O”s — it says people with O blood type have an immune system that can be overactive and attack itself. It also lists inflammatory diseases and allergies as problems for Os.

A’s have a vulnerable immune system open to microbial invasion (what does that mean??) and a sensitive digestive tract.

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2008 at 11:26 pm

I am O+ I will watch this thread and see what friends of mine that have GBS and other auto immune illness have. Interesting! I don’t think I have ever asked them what blood type they have!

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 12:30 am

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”2″]Hi gang,
      This is interesting. I’m O- which, I understand is considered a ‘universal type’ meaning it’s safe to give in an emergency situation to a patient in immediate need whose blood type has not yet been determined. Did I say that right?
      I remember as a child, about a thousand years ago ๐Ÿ™‚ I had a case of the shingles and I recall the Dr. being surprised, telling my Mom that it was a ‘nervous’ disorder, but that was a long time ago, and I’ll have to look it up, but I think it’s actually in the same class as Chicken Pox, Herpes and a few other things that are suspected triggers for GBS. Hmm
      Gotta go look up that book too.
      V [/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 9:05 am

I am O+.

Tonya Correll

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 9:26 am

I’m A+, in other words, perfect:)) Interesting question though

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 9:48 am

AB+ here – the universal recipient! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 11:02 am

I am O+, like so many others here. I did grow up with terrible allergies & ecsema as well, which are both autoimmune. I wonder if I was prediposed based on these other autoimmune disorders which I had so badly when I was a child & teenager?
      Pam

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 11:21 am

I’m A+, the only thing that is perfect and yet failing at the sametime;)
      I have many autoimmune issues, most of which didn’t show their ugly heads until 23 yrs ago—I’m grateful for that, at least I didn’t put my parents through that much H3ll when I was a kid;)

Yes Oldbat, shingles is in the herpes family, otherwise known as the adult chicken pox, if you would. It affects the nerves, usually in the chest region.

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 1:51 pm

I’m AB+. Haven’t ever had an extremely strong immune system. Does that fit the info in the book you’re reading, Iowagal?

Interesting stuff. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Carla

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 3:24 pm

I’m O +. Guess I’ll look this up on the net. Sounds interesting. Keep us posted

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 7:36 pm

I originally ordered this book because my daughter (who is a teacher) said a friend of hers at school had dramatically lowered her blood pressure by following the blood type diet. Cara and Carla — my daughter is also an AB and she has rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed at age 27). She takes some nasty drugs and was thinking maybe the diet would work for her. She just started the diet. It says in the book that AB’s have a sensitive digestive tract and an overly tolerant immune system, allowing microbial invasion (there is that phrase again). Type AB is less than 1000 yrs old and rare (2-5 percent of population) and biologically complex. My husband is an A and I am a B — both of our children are AB. The book tells a little about your blood type ancestry — and that is interesting as well. I am going to try to avoid some of the big NO NOs for B’s (Whole Wheat, Corn, Tomatoes, Chicken and Pork) and see if I notice any difference in how I feel.

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 8:27 pm

B here. This is very interesting, living where I do. Chinese people believe that blood type determines everything, even what sort of temperment and personality a person has! That book must have been based on the Chinese notion, because they’ve been saying forever that certain blood types have to eat certain things.

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2008 at 9:02 am

Just started reading the book yesterday. I need to read more to make a conclusion, but so far I am not buying all of it. I also want to start reading up on a gluten free diet. Jenny McCarthy is a big follower of it, her son has autism and they say it helps autism and other diseases.

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Some forms of Autism improving with a wheat/gluten-free diet are not just hearsay! We now have great communication with our grandson. He has been autistic since his baby vaccinations . . . Our daughter is very strict with his diet and it has paid great dividends ๐Ÿ™‚

Lifestyle diet is important in any disease process. I never have felt better than when I followed a gluten-free, sugar-free diet ~ post GBS. Oh, it was a challenge! For awhile I craved those things terribly but once the “with drawl” was over it was great. The big challenge was finding things to eat when I was away from my home. Any commercially produced food product is loaded with “stuff” including chemicals that work against “health”.

What you put into your body [I]will affect[/I] your health ~ for positive or negative! Food is our body’s fuel ~ just like gas in a car. How careful are you with what you put into the gas tank so that your vehicle runs at optimum performance??

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2008 at 9:28 pm

I brought up this idea months ago and gave up on it because Miami Girl would write that I was wrong. I am an O and have been eating right for my blood type since October. The worst food for O’s are WHEAT, potatoes, corn, peanuts, lentils, kidney beans, and navy beans. It will be five months next week. I feel so much better. I could kick myself for not starting it years ago when I first read about it. There is a second book by the author that is much better. LIVE RIGHT 4 YOUR TYPE. I also got the test to see if I was a secretor or nonsecretor. The book has the address and you can send away your saliva and find out which category you are in. Most people are secretors. But it does change the foods that are good or bad for you in your particular bloodtype. I no longer get headaches or blood sugar highs and lows. I have a healthier immune system. A’s are more likely to be vegetarians. You can actually make a pretty good guess at someone’s bloodtype by knowing their personality. Extroverts are generally O’s while introverts are more likely A’s. But I do not think you can tell as well with children. The LIVE RIGHT 4 YOUR TYPE tells which diseases are more prevalent in each blood type. But this does not mean that you will get it. An A that eats red meat on a regular basis is more likely to come down with certain diseases while an O that eats red meat will be healthy on that diet. I have already dropped 26 pounds that I put on last year with GBS and feel so much better.

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Thanks Carolyn, I am interested in reading the live right for your type book also. I have been checking it out online and it sounds like some of the food choices might be different than the blood type diet. I have eliminated chicken, tomatoes, whole wheat products and most corn/corn products from my diet — that corn and corn syrup is in almost everything ๐Ÿ™‚ and it is sneaky!! I have only been doing this a few weeks, but am hoping I will notice some differences. The MGUS forum is discussing the issue of wheat/gluten allergies/intolerance with respect to autoimmune disorders and MGUS/multiple myeloma. I think we are barely scratching the surface of learning how foods (and all those additives) may affect the immune process.

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2008 at 9:44 pm

Steph,
      I just spoke with a woman that her sister had neurological symptoms that made them think she had a stroke or MS. She had her right side go numb, visual disturbances, difficulty speaking, pain. It turned out that she had moved to the town next to mine and after three years of drinking the water with fluoride in it, she got poisoned with it. SHe has to be careful even eating any processed foods/drinks that may have it in. I think when this happens it means the body is so overtaxed with the wrong foods, stress, etc and then something like fluoridfe is the straw that broke the camel’s back. She is 90% improved but still has some major issues with her health. I read that putting fluoride in water is the biggest mass medication in the history of our country. Luckily my town doesn’t use it, but I have used distrilled water for the past 25 years. Maybe some people on this forum have been affected by fluoride.

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Hey, my blood type is A-. I knew it matter when I was pregnant. Be interested to know if there is any connection. Good subject! I’ve also had two mild cases of shingles prior to GBS, hmmm. I’ll have to do a search on that. And I was a city girl for 41 years, used to drinking city water and then moved to a rural area 8 years ago with well water…food for thought.

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2008 at 7:43 am

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”3″]Hi Smiley,
      Just curious, do you recall if your Shingles was confined to one side of your body?
      I had Shingles as a child, back then it was thought to be a ‘nervous’ (read hysterical) disorder, at least by our family doc. I had it again after my first hospitalization and it was quite extensive, even including the palm of my left hand. I also had Thrush, it was not a pretty picture!:( BTW I’m O-
      Wonder if this idea of eating, or living right 4 your type is similar to the Ayurdvedic theory of the three types based on one’s body type? I’m just hearing about this, guess I need to go searching. ๐Ÿ™‚
      See ya
      V[/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2008 at 9:50 am

My son Tucker, diagnosed GBS 17 months old is A-, same as me.

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2008 at 4:46 pm

[QUOTE=Iowagal]I am reading a book “Eat right for your type” (blood type, that is). It is interesting — not buying into all of it, but it said type B’s are susceptible to autoimmune disease and nervous system diseases (such as lupus, MS, ALS). I got to wondering what blood types are represented here? I am a type B.[/QUOTE]

Well we sure fill the bill! My husband has CIDP and his blood type is B positive, and I have MS and blood type is B negative.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2008 at 5:42 pm

OLD BAT and SMILEY….I found your comments about Shingles interesting. I too came down with shingles after backpacking for 6 weeks through 10 countries in Europe ALONE. I got rid of it in two days after finding out it was viral and taking vitamin C. ( A leading dermatologist said it was FLEAS!) Several of my friends have also used it to get rid of shingles. It works. So easy and yet people suffer with it. I do wonder if there is any relation between shingles and GBS. I have such faith that this website will stumble upon the answer. I know my GBS was caused by stress. SO I think it is viral and the stress accelerated the growth of the virus. When I took massive doses of vitamin C, it slowed down the progress of the GBS. I have gone back and looked at my e-mail to friends for the two months before I got paralyzed, I could see it coming. ( I had had GBS 20 years before.) So my hypothesis is that the cortisol that my body generated for the stress it was under for a year before and the virus was replicating itself, that is why I got GBS in October 2006. It came on slowly because I took massive doses of vitamin C and the body absorbed every bit of it. Guess I didn’t take enough!

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2008 at 7:01 pm

I had mono as a teenager and had shingles in my 30s — have wondered if that has any relevance to my getting GBS? I am probably just susceptible to autoimmune diseases and it started many years ago….seems like we all have multiple issues to deal with.

–Leanne

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2008 at 8:23 pm

I am O + (Steve)

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2008 at 9:37 am

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”3″][B]Hey kids’
      Shingles is a member of that wonderful dysfunctional family we all know as Herpes, which includes among many others good ole Chicken Pox, so virus equals what? Hmmm..
      Is it one of those things that you always carry, but in a dormant state?
      Things that make you go hmmmmm
      See ya
      V[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2008 at 11:00 am

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”3″]Sorry Iowagal, for hogging your blood type thread with this Shingles stuff, but I found this article on Medscape by Charles Argoff, MD and just wanted to share it here

. Percentages of Herpes Zoster Patients With Persistent Pain

The percentages of people who experience pain on an ongoing basis after experiencing [B][SIZE=”2″]acute herpes zoster or shingles[/SIZE][/B] increases dramatically as age increases. The percentages of people who will experience pain for longer than a month, dramatically goes up after approximately age 39 or 40. In a somewhat delayed fashion, the incidence of true postherpetic neuralgia, that is, pain that persists for months or years afterwards, goes up dramatically after approximately age 50.

It is important to realize that everyone is theoretically at risk, so you want to treat all people acutely as well as possible. But as one gets older, the persistence of pain is more likely.[/SIZE][/FONT]

As if we didn’t have enough going on?:(
      V

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Old Bat, each time (2) I had shingles it was limited to one side of my body. First time one side from belly to back. Second time one side from back to belly. I had just a few blotches each time. I thought I had it again recently across the front of my belly. But Doc said shingles affect either side of the body not both.
      Wishing everyone well!
      Denise

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Started getting shingles about 6 or 7 years after GBS, there was a time I would get it a few times a year, affects left side. (was terrified of HIV as I got my pp before screening started and was told that only people who have HIV get shingles so often – well, they were wrong!) Thankfully, the last couple of years have only had it about twice a year – each outbreak has been helped a great deal since I was prescribed the correct medication and not just given cream to apply. In my case, if meds are started when I can feel it coming on, then the pain and duration is decreased tremendously.

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Ab+ Cidp

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2008 at 8:10 pm

Hey ali, I was told the last time I had shingles that if I think I have it to call right away bc there is a med that works but must be given at the first signs or symptoms (within 24-48 hours).

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Ali,
      It gets me angry when doctors tell their patients stupid things like your doctor told you about HIV. You are getting Shingles moire often because you have the latent (sleeping/dormant) virus and your immune system is not keeping it in tow at those times when you get it. When I got shingles after I got home from backpacking through 10 countries in Europe alone one summer, the dermatologist said I had fleas and prescribed flea powder. That was when I realized that I should be suspicious of some doctors. I have not had shingles since 1976. When I got it, it started behind my right ear and then went down in a line to the top of my right breast. Each day a hive would show up following the nerve endings there. Then it went directly across to my left side of my chest and then up towards my left ear. It was not painful because I was taking vitamin C – just not enough. Lysine would also help. If the hives are still there, you are not taking enough. It is so simple. As for HIV, it is just an immune system that is not strong enough to fight the diseases that are under the umbrella of AIDS. It started out with four diseases that were considered to be AIDS – then they kept adding diseases so it appeared that AIDS was growing. Peter Duesberg has written the best book on it. After you read it, you will not fear it and will know the truth about it.

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2009 at 1:58 pm

i am B+, post gbs/mfs/cidp…… now strugling with shingles, herpes zoster…. really concerned…… anyone have any encouraging words?
      also, my daughter is B+ and has intra-cranial hypertensension, also neurological….. wow … maybe that is true?:o ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• December 8, 2009 at 10:07 am

me, A+ GBS….

dad was O+ and he had ALS

Mom was A+ and had a laundry list of problems ranging from hypertension to diabetes.

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2010 at 3:01 am

How all of you are? I am visiting this site after August,09. I do not know how I stopped visiting this site… but somehow I missed it..

Anyway, the subject seems to be interesting .. My blood type is B negative .. with about 5 years old GBS.

I would like to know more about it.. pl keep posted.

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I am an O+ I have GBS, Thyroid problems (surgery on March 9th).