Blood thinner

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2007 at 2:36 pm

The doctor has my dad scheduled to do surgery and insert a trach in the morning and they are going to take him off the blood thinner tonight and he still has a blood clot in his right arm. Also, they are going to take him off the feeding tube tonight to get him prepared for the surgery. Can someone tell me if this normal procedure?:confused:

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2007 at 2:41 pm

If your doc keeps your dad on blood thinners then there will be a problem with the blood not clotting and too much bleeding when he makes the incision for the trache. Also your dad cant go into surgery with feeding tubes etc. everyone has to fast before going into surgery, Unless its an emergancy I guess. Your dad will or should go back onto the blood thinners and the feeding tube once out of surgery.

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Once the trach is in how long will it be till he can eat?

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2007 at 5:09 pm

Trust me I was on the vent and received a trache and the last thing on my mind was worrying about eating. He’ll most likely have a feeding tube.

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2007 at 5:16 pm

On an average what would the timeframe be for him to be on the feeding tube?

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2007 at 5:38 pm

ss,

Your dad will be on the feeding tube as long as he is has a trach. The breathing tube enters the throat and into the lungs. Once he gets off the vent and the trach is removed, they will have to check certain things like gag reflexes etc and he will then slowly be introduced to liquids and very soft solids.

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2007 at 5:39 pm

Forgot to say ….. feeding tube and trach dont have a time frame, it has all to do with when your dads body starts to recover in its own time.

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2007 at 5:50 pm

Ali is right there isn’t a time frame for the feeding tube. I remember when I had the feeding tube I started out eating items with food coloring on it ie., ice chips, oatmeal, and jello, and SMALL amounts of water… the nurses and doctors would do some-type of suction technique to make sure I was swallowing correctly.

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2007 at 11:09 pm

i started eating while i still had the trach … in my case the removal of the trachy was delayed because of an infection. The speech pathologist made sure i was able to swallow correctly (they colour the food or liquid so they can see if it is being suctioned out of the lungs) and then i started on soft foods and gradually worked up to chopped foods. The feeding tube didnt come out until they were satisfied i was eating enough solid foods. Luckily the hospital food wasnt too bad. The trachy came out after 3 weeks when it had healed sufficiently.

I know there are no hard and fast time frames but i was given the following indications:

intubation – 1-2 weeks. If possible they like to get the tube out to prevent damage to vocal cords
      trachy – initial tube 1-2 weeks. If likely to be more long term, they will normally replace with a tube that has a removable inner that can be replaced, to prevent blockages.

they were talking about replacing my trachy after 2 weeks but that was delayed because of the infection, which i was glad about as apparently they just pull the old one out and insert the new one :0 In the end they just took it out altogether which really wasnt too bad at all, didnt feel a thing.

As for the blood thinners, i was on heparin injections until i was up and walking again and finally convinced them they were an unnecessary evil. I dont remember them stopping them at all which seems a bit strange now that i think of it.

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2007 at 9:20 am

Thanks. He was put on the ventilator on Sept 9th and they were going to put the trache on today, but the ENT doctor called the nurse last night and said they postponed it till Monday Oct 1st. Does that sound normal to be on it that long? Also, my father is diabetic do you know if this will affect his healing process at all? Thanks for the detailed response.

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2007 at 8:58 pm

I do think that they are leaving the intubation tube in a little long. As said by montanas mom, they do try and get it out after the first week, possibly 2 because it really can damage vocal cords – im just wondering why they are leaving it in so long? Not sure exactly how Diabetes will affect your fathers healing, Is your dad Type I or II?

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2007 at 12:49 pm

my dad is type II diabetic. They doctors are going to do the surgery tomorrow for the trach. Originally it was set for yesterday, then next Monday and now changed again to tomorrow.

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2007 at 7:45 pm

i hope all goes well for the trachy and not delayed again. As most people have said, it is so much better than being intubated for so many reasons. And from what i have heard it is a relatively minor procedure. I had mine in surgery but somone else had theirs done in ICU (all the nurses went and watched!) I remember waking up with a shocking headache but they gave me some painkillers and that was fine. It didnt hurt afterwards or anything.

Please keep us updated on how he is going