Blood Count Low anyone else

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Went in for phresis on Mon and had a hgb of 8.1. Got infused with two untis of whole blood. Then had phresis and ended up being at the h sopital for 15 hours.
      GI work up negative for blood, eveything is normal.
      Need to find out where i’m loosing blood or if I’m not making blood.
      Guess this with the heart rate, CHF, etc is why I do not feel like doing anything.
      Has anyone else had low blood counts that require transfusions?
      Md now has my dx as Paraproteinemic neuropathy with IgM anti-MAG with clinical presentation characteristic CIDP. Has anyone heard of this or have knowledge of it.
      Thanks a head of time

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 3:40 pm

I am not aware of this type of issue, but I hope they can determine the cause quickly for you. Will think of you and say a quick prayer. Hang in there

I should also have added when I first posted this that I do have difficulty with low iron count in the blood. I usually know because I get tired more easily than usual and I bruise really bad. Often I can’t even remember bumping or hitting anything and I will have a huge bruise.

When I had GBS I did have to have three or four blood transfusions. I also had Plasmapharesis many times so could it be related? Not sure.

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Hmmm! Not really sure about this either. I know that type of Neuropathy is called PDN. Sometimes a vitamin deficiency can cause this type of neuropathy. Sarcoidosis can cause it. A tumor somewhere! There are many causes for it. But the blood loss on the other hand not really sure about. Either your blood is too thin and needs Iron to thicken it up and because the blood is to thin, you could bleed easily inside your body. Or you have an area somewhere causing severe bleeding. Almost like hemoraging somewhere. They will have to do more testing on you to find out where the blood loss is coming from and then decide the treatment plan! You poor girl! You sure are having such a hard time right now! I really will keep you in my prayers and hope they get you well again. I know this is very frustrating for you right now! I’m sending you a Cyber hug and wishing you to get well soon! Hopefully somebody in here with better knowledge of that will come along and be more helpful in this! I sure hope so for your sake! Getting answers really helps alot! Good luck Beth! Good luck!

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Hi Beth –

A low hemoglobin doesn’t necessarily mean that you have internal bleeding going on. There are a few things that can cause this.

Here is a link with a good, but brief, description:

[url]http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-hemoglobin/AN01295[/url]

And here is the text to the link:

Hemoglobin is the iron-rich protein in red blood cells that gives blood its red color. The normal range of hemoglobin is approximately 14 to 17 grams per deciliter for men and 12 to 16 grams per deciliter for women. A low hemoglobin count indicates a low red blood cell count (anemia). Anemia can have many causes, including:

* Vitamin and iron deficiencies
      * Acute or chronic bleeding
      * Hormone deficiencies, such as thyroid hormone or testosterone
      * Chronic diseases, such as kidney failure, cancer and Crohn’s disease
      * Autoimmune diseases, such as lupus
      * Side effect of certain medications, such as chemotherapy drugs

Treatment depends on the underlying cause.

What did your dr say about it? I’m assuming they checked your iron & thyroid first. I think that’s where most dr’s would start. What meds are you taking? That could be the cause as well.

I’m not familiar with Paraproteinemic neuropathy with IgM anti-MAG with clinical presentation characteristic CIDP. It’s a mouthful, huh? I’m sure someone else can help you with that.

Hope that helps,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Hi

I have suffered from this on a long term basis. I think that the easiest and least scary answer is that we don’t feel well and then we don’t eat well, and our iron drops because it needs lots of red meat, dark green veges, etc…(all the things I don’t crave when I feel crap!)

I know that my blood profile is slightly mucked up because of all the meds. My calcium level has never recovered since the plasmapheresis. There is a relationship between that and iron, as well as vit d, potassium, magnesium, etc. I have chronic anemia, my lowest was 4.3!

I have been transfused twice, and have gotten shots in the bottom more times than I can remember (but my bottom will always remember, because the iron stains your tissue and doesn’t come off!):D

I think that may be the easiest answer. However, it obviously pays to check it out. I saw an endocrinologist (looks after blood chemistry and stuff) and he was REALLY helpful in terms of trying to understand how it all goes together.

Hope things improve for you….

Cheers
      Debs