BIG little things, another improvement for me

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2006 at 12:03 am

Hi family,
      I like to say BIG little things because the little things are BIG BIG BIG! Today I put on my favorite suede boots again and this time I was able to LACE AND TIE THEM! I even tied a bow. I have good days and bad hand days and I haven’t been able to tie laces since 1998.

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2006 at 12:07 am

That’s really great!!!!!!!!!!! I know what its like to sit there for an hour trying to button my pants or shirts. I have good and bad thumb days. My thumbs took the brunt of my hand damage.And when it gets cold? :smh: What changed? New treatment or just remission?

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2006 at 8:55 am

Grawplyr,
      My neurologist used the term “I am no longer progressing” (CIDP), rather then remission. I have been off all treatments/medications (except PT) for syndrome for three years now and show no signs of what I’d call a relapse. IVIG and prednisone and a year of methotrexate worked for me. If we can stop progression, we CAN heal, but since we’re all different it’s a matter of what works for you. My improvements/strength come slow. I can go through months with nothing happening, then my BIG little one comes.

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2006 at 12:03 pm

This is great, Liz. Gives me hope it might happen for me one of these days.

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2006 at 6:16 pm

Hurray for Liz! That’s just great. Hope you have many more successes.

Suzannne

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2006 at 6:21 pm

Great news any way you can achieve it Liz. Stories like your’s give me hope.
      I am fairly confident that within 10 years there will be a cure for us all. Either that or I will scrap these crummy parts for new bionic ones ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2007 at 6:25 pm

There’s still alot wrong with them, but I think this shows that my hands are getting better. I used to draw and I sketched this while sitting in the evening.
      [IMG]http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8655/picturegw1.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Liz
      That’s a fantastic picture! you are very talented. Keep at it, the effort is well worth it.

Jim C

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2007 at 11:49 pm

Liz,
      I remember so well when I was finally able to tie my shoelaces again, what a wonderful feeling. It was a HUGE day for me when I could cut my own fingernails & toenails again as well, even if I do use a toenail clipper for both! The picture is beautiful, even before CIDP I could not draw that well, well actually I couldn’t draw at all ever in my life.
      We finally got about 8″ of snow today & I drove my snowmobile around our suburb & the trails next to my home, what a wonderful feeling. Afterwards I played in the snow with my son’s chocolate lab. How wonderful it felt to make a snow angel again & be able to get up by myself afterwards! We just keep on trecking in this journey, don’t we?
      BTW I am all for some bionic parts, need I list all that I would require?
      Pam

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2007 at 9:29 pm

That is great, Liz, and your sketch shows promise of a return of your talent. I was elated today because I drove up to town and back. My hands, feet and legs are getting stronger.

Peggy

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2007 at 9:54 pm

I used to put Nate’s shoes on and it was hard to do. He has bigggggg feet, size 15.
      About a month ago, I came out to put them on so we could go shopping and there he sat with his shoes on and tied.
      I was so surprised!
      He puts them all the time now. Its so nice to see just a small improvement like that. Its hard to do things like that with shaky stiff fingers.
      The other day we went to Walmart and they had some puzzles in the Christmas clearance section for 75% off.
      Nate bought two of them.
      I’m going to cut him a piece of skinny plywood so he can start doing them.
      He can pull right up to the dining rm table and do them right there and I can move it out of the way when we eat.
      Doing a puzzle should be good for getting back some dexterity.

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2007 at 10:06 pm

Liz I am so happy to hear about your newest accomplishment, your doing great.

Trudy, Nate sounds like a big guy ๐Ÿ™‚

Puzzles are a great way to work on dexterity, that’s one of the things that I did for quite awhile and it helped alot.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2007 at 12:17 am

I love working puzzles even tho my eyes and my brain hurt sometimes ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I use a large bulletin board (25 1/2″ x 33 1/2″) to work them on. The cork helps to keep the pieces from “flying” to far when I bump them and the edge frame keeps the pieces from sliding off. When I want to put it away, it slides easily under the sofa or a bed. And with the frame there are no rough edges. It was a great investment for me ๐Ÿ™‚

Congrats to Nate on the shoe success. At a size 15 that sounds like a big accomplishment ~ ha ha ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2007 at 12:45 am

What a good way to express something that may seem small but is a life changing event. Little BIG things may be in my future too.