Beth to have a Bone Marrow Bx on WED

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 1:49 pm

I go WEd for a bone marrow bx. I’m a big chicken, so have chosen to have sedation.
      I’m also to be scheduled for a sleep apnea study.
      The phresis has really helped a lot. I’m about 35% back to where I used to be. I no longer pray for a hundred percent return, will settle for 75% and praying for that. I am able to stand longer than 15 seconds now and have less overall pain.
      I am having a lot of low back pain. I know i have a herniated disc and ? that is giving the probem.
      So, a few more tests and than I can concentrate only on improving. This is the most hopeful I have been in a long time.

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Beth, wishing you all the best. Take care of yourself and let us know all the little improvements! Those little milestones keep everyone of us going.:)

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Beth-you are not a chicken. Conscious sedation is one of the best medical advances in this century. Why go through a painful procedure when they can give you a couple meds that help you remember no pain???? And Jan is right-all the little improvements are little milestones. Good luck on your test Beth, and let us know how it comes out, Take care…..Emma

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Beth
      Call us all chicken but I’m with you..:D knock me out and tell me later. Good luck and we’ll keep you in our prayers.

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Hi, Beth. i work at a clinic for children with cancer and probably 400-500 bone marrow aspirates/biopsies are done a year there and virtually ALL are with sedation. Why in the world have a child/teen go through something that is scarey and tough without it? But medical hematologist/oncologists do them all the time in adults without sedation. I am like you, treat me kinder and gentler than that. I know that bone marrow aspirates and even biopsies can be done with little pain using lots of lidocaine to numb down to the bone and having an experienced person do it, but for many people it is uncomfortable and for some painful. Pain and worry are stressors; they also impact your immune response abilities. It seems that people are more likely to flair their autoimmune diseases in association with surgeries and life stressors in which are worried or pain is not adequately addressed. All this to say two things…
      Please ask that they still use lots of lidocaine even if you are sedated. It will help when you wake up.
      Do not feel like you are being a “scarey cat” to ask for sedation–you likely are making things better/safer for your body with this disease. It is doing a smart thing, not being a “child”.

Beside the point, when I started getting neurological symptoms, since I work at a Children’s Hospital in a major medical center, I decided to have as much done there as possible. Why not? People are comforting and explain things more and think about your comfort a tiny bit more and I got to see what “my kids” were going through. Not to say I have not had good experience when I had tests done at the “adult” hospital a block away, but it is nice to be treated like a child. The phlebotomist use smaller needles and get it the first time every time because my adult veins are HUGE compared to a baby. I always bruise after a blood draw at the adult hospital and never at the Children’s hospital (plus there I get “cool” bandaides not the boring tan ones that the adult hospital uses. It just makes you FEEL better!) When I had my MRIs, they were teasing me that they did not have classical music to listen to and I would have to listen to Radio Disney or Sesame Street Live CD, but I think they were just teasing me, because they do a lot of MRIs of adults at the children’s hospital.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Wishing you good luck on the biopsy and hope things get much more better for you! The sleep study test! Just had that done! You may get a laugh at yourself the next morning when they take out the wires. I looked like Frankensteins Bride when I went into the bathroom and saw myself in the mirror. All that paste they use in your hair make it stick up everywhere! Not a painful test though. Very easy!
      Hope your biopsy turns out okay and I wish you good luck! Cyber hugs heading your way!

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 11:26 am

Hope is a beautiful thing. Just remember, it’s always darkest before the dawn. I’ll pray that everything goes well on the biopsy and that you continue to improve.

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Beth,
      Hope all goes well for you with the biopsy.
      Shirley

• September 8, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Praying for you Beth!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Beth You are in My Thoughts and Prayers!!

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 7:56 am

Best of luck Beth.

let us know.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 9:20 am

I just wanted to let you know that I’m thinking about you and praying for you today. *hugs*

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 10:15 am

Thinking of you Beth. I hope things go well today and you get good results.

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Beth my darling , please let us know how everything is going, i sent you a private message before I got into this room to see your latest post. Wish you all the best …….sedation? the best option, Danny had a BMB 😮 I nearly fainted next to him because of his pain, I could have feel it myself…..God blesssssss!!!!!!!!!!