Balance

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2007 at 12:51 am

I am GBS class of 2000. I am 57 years old, under weight, take no drugs except coffee and a few smokes. I was in the hospital for 2 months for GBS and had 5 PP treatments. I drive a car, mow the lawn and am always a horny old man. But after GBS my face, arms and legs always burn and tingle. In the dark I have to crawl because my balance is gone. Any comments on balance?

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2007 at 6:29 am

hi & welcome,

balance probs are one of the many gbs residuals. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2007 at 10:51 am

You did not mention rehab, but I am guessing that you received that treatment. Poor balance can be from not being able to feel the bottom of your feet and where it is placed. The main reason is usually the muscles get weak. You did not mention any exercise program that you did or are still doing. Exercise is misunderstood. It is not a program that makes you burn out quickly. No pain, no gain is not the way to go. Activities that you enjoy and movement are what the GBS person has to consider. I recommend trying Yoga. Get yourself a tape or watch tv channels for regular programming for Yoga. Inhale is on the Oxygen Channel in the early mornings and can be taped for use during the day. Also on the Fitness channel they have a Yoga program on several times a day. Yoga just is not slow movement but works on breathing, range of motion and relaxation to get control of stress. It is nice because you are doing one position and holding it to get those muscles, ligaments and tendons to stretch. No pressure to do so many in a short amount of time like the quicker cardio exercises that wear you down quickly. I also recommend exercise in a heated swimming pool. It makes movements easier on the joints and take the weight off the weak muscles so they can work efficently with resistance from the water, also freedom from gravity. Floation devices are used for your safety and part of the fun. Again these programs are geared to people with RA and other autoimmune diseases and syndromes. What ever exercise program you choose has to be something you enjoy so you will continue the program. Stability balls or exercise balls are good for strenghtening the core muscles. I use them along with the movement in the water. One pound weights are good to use to start to strenghten arms, wrists, hands and shoulders. It is the movement and use of muscles that keep them going. Later in your exercise program you will see that standing on one leg that has strong muscles really helps gain that balance. Without strenght you will not have any balance and struggle. Walking is good and mowing the lawn but it is not perfect it only works the joints in several directions and take a toll on our bodies. The rest of your body can be worked in your exercise program. Practice good posture that works those areas. Back problems are from weak abs and not just weak back muscles. Your doing a great job, but maybe you have stopped challenging the right things?

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2007 at 11:44 am

To rule out B12 vitamin deficiency get a blood test.

B12 deficiency give tingling and balance problems as well as a lot of other symptoms.

It would not hurt to get a blood test for other vitamins as well being old as you say :p