Back pain has come back

• Anonymous
      January 24, 2007 at 12:19 pm

I have been diagnonsed with GB. That was back on 120806. I have been recuperating very well, I am at home, and in fact, I was doing great until few days ago, back pain came back. I am now concerned that maybe it is not the GBS, but something else, disc problem, tumor etc. I have not seen too much on the site that talks about reoccurences. Other than the back pain, I am progressing well.

Another point that has me concerned. I can actually feel down towards the lower portion of my spine where it is sore to the touch.

Any help or comment appreciated.

tonya030

• Anonymous
      January 24, 2007 at 4:29 pm

Tony,

It is not unusual for anyone with GBS to get reoccurances of pain, we call them residuals. Especially in an area where we have had loss of feeling or pain previously. Gene will suggest you try neurontin and give you the correct dosages. It does work for many of us. Good Luck and welcome to the family. We can offer support and advice and a sounding board and even a shoulder from time to time.

• Anonymous
      January 24, 2007 at 9:33 pm

hi tonya & welcome,

as you said it could have nothing to do w gbs, but, as natalie said, it is more likely your residuals. you must rest much, much more. also neurontin could help. many of us take neurontin [gabapentin], a non-narcotic, for peripheral neurological pain. neurontin is specific, it can work even when ordinary pain killers do not, even the opiates like methadone. great success w many. v safe. start at 300 mg 3X/day [900 total] & increase by 300 every other day till pain stops. taking it 6X/day instead of 3X/day gets more bang for the buck. 3600 is theoretical max/day that your body can absorb. 5600 is practical absorption max/day. the only reason for the slo build up is it may make you sleepy till your body gets used to it. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      January 24, 2007 at 10:08 pm

I had back pain in the hospital and it has returned 13 month later. I thought it was due to weak muscles not holding everything together and my rehab doctor sent me right back into rehab. There they said I have a rotated bone in my pelvis that is giving me trouble. I am back on a exercise program to take care of any core muscles my daily life seems to be missing. I also asked to increase my upper body strenght and also teach me how to get up off the floor or ground if I should stumble outdoors or at the store. Again that is due to muscles that were skipped over in my daily routines and/or some confidence in my body not being as strong as I think it is. I have found other times were I did not think I could do it but with some instructions I now remember how I used to do things. I am still not good at crawling but that is now coming along fine. I think they skipped the crawling before I would stand and walk because I had an injury to my shoulder from a fall when I got home. Plus I was picked up by my arms to get me back into the bed right after I got into rehab and the second day there they over worked me and my legs colasped. They were not able to get me off the floor. 6 Times they attempted to lift my by my shoulders to put me back into the bed and from that injury my arm was locked in the “down at my side” position. Making crawling like a three legged dog impossible. Since then the rehab was not able to unlock my arm. I went to my Chiropractor and with a few treatments he had it unlocked. Now I have got those muscles stronger but just not strong enough. Each case is different and that is why I slipped out of bed or the chair to walk instead of crawl. I also remember having neck pain at the end of the day because my muscles were not strong enough to hold up my head for long periods of time, especially in the car with all that wiggling you do when riding around corners and pot holes. Not to mention the vibrations from the car. I take all those pains as good signs that just are ready to heal. Don’t ignore them as a residual of GBS which they might just be, mention them to your Doctor they can tell if it is in a location to be concerned about. 😎