Article on Flu Shot and GBS

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2006 at 9:28 am

[B]www.medpagetoday.com/Pulmonary/URIstheFlu/tb/4510[/B] (cut and paste into browser)
      [I]
      “TORONTO, Nov. 13 — A flu shot appears to increase the relative risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome by 45%, according to researchers here……”[/I]

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2006 at 2:35 pm

VERY INTERESTING! Yet the neurologists (who treat this) speaking at the symposium said it was safe. WHETHER YOU SHOULD GET THE FLU SHOT “HAS” TO BE YOUR OWN DECISION!!! TALK TO YOUR NEUROLOGIST, YOUR FAMILY DOCTOR, DO SOME RESEARCH ON IT, INQUIRE AT WALK-IN-CLINIC’S, THEN DECIDE.

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2006 at 5:58 pm

My Dad had the flu when he got the flu shot. And yes he told them. We are completely amazed that this could actually happen. Hopefully a learning curve for someone!

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2006 at 6:12 pm

[QUOTE=Manitoban]My Dad had the flu when he got the flu shot. And yes he told them. We are completely amazed that this could actually happen. Hopefully a learning curve for someone![/QUOTE]

don’t count on it. they’ve been doing it for some time. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2006 at 7:21 pm

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=red]:eek: 45%??? HOLY CRAP!!!:eek: [/COLOR][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][COLOR=darkorchid]Everyone should make there own judgement call re: a flu shot. But, my mind was made up after I had my GBS in 2000. No way.[/COLOR][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      December 13, 2006 at 11:26 pm

After reading as much as I could read about the increase risk of getting a gbs relapse and talking to my son Nate’s doctors and having him and nurses tell Nate not to ever get another flu shot, Nate has decided not to get one.
      He had a flu shot just 2 or 3 weeks before he got gbs.
      His Gallbladder had also shut down at the same time so figuring out which thing got him sick is impossible.
      You can’t exactly blame him for not wanting to take a chance after the hell he has been thru and is still going thru.
      Nate/ gbs 1-05-06

• Anonymous
      December 15, 2006 at 11:01 pm

[FONT=”Book Antiqua”]I don’t how they are in other states but here they will not give or offer you a flu shot. If you had GBS, when my mom got her flu shot that was the first thing they asked her. Of course my wife was in the car & they asked if she wanted a flu shot, all she had to say was she had, had GBS. They didn’t ask her anything else, I do remember they said that when they gave the swine flu shots in the 70s. That quite a few people came down with GBS, as for me I had a wk long headache that just didn’t won’t to go away.[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2006 at 6:44 pm

FYI on GBSFI page indicates that in most cases the benifits of the flu shot is greater than the risk of GBS. And that one should make the decision after consultation with their PCP.

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2006 at 6:53 pm

FYI- Anyone who developed GBS as the result of the flu vaccine is not suppose to have a flu vaccine ever again. It will be everyone’s personal choice whether to take the risk.

So for those like my husband who got GBS from the flu vaccine, he was told by his Neuro, Neuromuscular, and Primary Care Dr never to take a flu shot or any vaccine again. There are many,many here on these forums who developed GBS/CIDP from all kinds of vaccines.

But this always has to do with your own choice and we just put the info out there so people can make an informed decision.

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2006 at 7:37 pm

Jer,

I tried cutting and pasting the link for the flu shot article twice with no luck. Am I doing something wrong?

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2006 at 7:55 pm

ditto brandy. there is much behind the scenes politics we don’t see that causes a lot of our supposedly called mentors to advise us to take the flu shot. but it is a personal choice & if you are willing to take the risk of getting gbs in exchange for an flu shot, which is largely ineffective, by all means do so. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength