Are hot tubs or baths safe?

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 1:23 pm

I am wondering if anyone knows if it’s safe to take a hot bath or hot tub with GBS? I am really craving a long, hot bubble bath in my own tub and have a friend who will help me. I am meeting with my neurologist tomorrow and will ask him too.

My PT also mentioned to me that New Mexico has an incidence of gbs that is 20 times the national average. I asked him for an introction to the author of the research. Does anyone have a research contact?
      Many thanks in advance,
      Claire

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 2:10 pm

Claire, I use our hot tub constantly. We leave it set at 103 during the winter months. There was a thread a while back discussing the safety issue and some concerns were the weakness felt after a long hot soak. I don’t know that it can do any permanent damage, I do know that some days it is my only means of relief. So I continue to use it. I only use it when my husband is with me or near by to check in case I would need help getting out. Of course, we all have different issues and I would be interested to hear what your neurologist says. So please post it once you have seen the Dr.

As far as the info on a higher numbers of GBS in Mexico I haven’t heard anything. Please let us all know if you do find info on that.

JayDee

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 2:31 pm

Hi Santefe,

I’m with JayDee. I love the hot tub, and find the relief I get from it worth more than any potential risks. As for post tub weakness, I haven’t noticed any. There is a sense of relaxation that could be taken as weakness. I hot tub just before going to be at night, and the quality of my sleep is much better than when I don’t hot tub. I find that a temp of 101 to 102, to be ideal, but my hubby likes it cranked up to 105. That’s too hot for me.

Enjoy, and don’t worry.
      Victoria

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 4:19 pm

I enjoy our hot tub as much as possible. I wish it was covered sometimes like today because it is raining. My PT said it was a great way to relieve stress on my muscles. The first shower I could take instead of a sponge bath was PRICELESS!! Go For It!
      Tim
      GBS 10/11/2006
      lots of prayers/IVIG/Plasmaphresis/OT/PT/ lots of prayers:)

I suggest not doing the hot tub alone! and be careful in the tub or shower. They warned me that the bathroom was going to be the most dangerous place, (it’s the only place I have fallen).

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 7:41 pm

When Ben was in the hospital, I asked about hot tubs and hot baths, and they said it was something Ben shouldn’t do because he could burn himself without realizing it. Once I got him home, I had him soak in a warm bubble bath, and I realized what a mistake that was, especially the bubble part. Since his feet were both paralyzed, he had a really hard time standing up without slipping. It took me an hour to finally get him out of the tub. We haven’t done that again.

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 7:57 pm

Thank you and I will ask my neurologist tomorrow before I do anything and make certain I have enough help. I am recharging today after spending down the energy bank account yesterday. I am still working on knowing what is too much and what is just right.
      Claire

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 10:53 pm

I’ve continued to use mine… although I struggled getting in and out for a while….

It is wonderfully refreshing and helps me sleep….

I maintain the water [COLOR=”Red”]carefully![/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2007 at 12:23 am

The bath was the only thing that would give me any sense of relief from the pain ~ I knew nothing of neurontin. I purchased a [I]spa thermometer [/I]to check the water temp. Those times that I was alone and couldn’t get out, I would have to drain the tub.

(“back then” (12 yrs. ago) I was told it was “no big deal” 😮 and that I’d be back to work in a year. I am on permanent disability. I am a huge advocate of doing your own research!)

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2007 at 10:45 am

I got my hot tub 3 years ago. I maintained a membership at gym with a hot tub for 12 years, and used it religiously. Love my hot tub and long soaks. But I am very careful to keep temp at about 100-101. Any hotter and its too hot for me. I had an additional handle installed so that I could get in and out easily. M doctor even suggested that she would write a script for it but I just bought it since rest of family would use also.

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2007 at 5:39 pm

Claire,
      Both times that I have had GBS I got more numbness in my feet when they got hot. I sleep with my feet outside of the covers when I can. I am afraid to get in the tub, because my feet get numb in hot water. Am I the only one that gets these symptoms?
      THat is amazing about New Mexico…..I do not want to get this a THIRD times….please let us know.

GBS – September 06 to present
      (still not walking but getting stronger)

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2007 at 10:27 pm

Well, I went to my neurologist today and he said I can try a tub at cooler temps first and see how it goes. The hard news for me is that he wants to do some more tests on me since he’s not convinced that I had GBS. I am a bit scared tonight about having something that I won’t recover from. I get soo tired, still can’t walk and my hands are coming back but have no strength. I try and remember that I am much better than I was when I was paralyzed in the ICU and that the IVIG helped. :confused:
      Many thanks,
      Claire

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2007 at 10:32 pm

I found that the exercise pool (84 degrees) was ok if I was doing aerobic exercise but once I stopped moving fast then I got chilled. My first showers are 78 degrees and I thought that was hot. Rehab pool was kept at 94 and I enjoyed that but muscles that were not strong were completely relaxed but I did get out of the pool but the walk to the dressing room was slow. Come home and took a long nap after being in the water. Which I think is normal. Most problem and is still ongoing is the hot tub (104 degrees) I go in and it does not feel hot which I know it is…..then after 5 minutes to relax my muscles the nerves start to burn, needles and pins, sparks and the muscles start to vibrate. I have not done that for a long time now! Everyone just be careful. Don’t stay in there for more than 15 minutes and take a partner! Just like swimming don’t swim alone! Depending on your body strenght that current can keep you away from the steps. Better safe than sorry! Enjoy for those of you that can!

• Anonymous
      January 16, 2007 at 1:54 pm

Thank you. The tub felt wonderful for me but I am weaker and my wrists and ankles were more achy.
      I will let you all know what I find out about gbs rates and NM.

• Anonymous
      January 16, 2007 at 4:21 pm

I just wanted to tell you to hang in there and I understand your frustration. Don’t let this get you down. Rest and do what you can to get better. You deserve all this attention to get you back to feeling well. If you do have GBS or one of its variants it takes time to heal. Work on patience and don’t give up, keep pressuring them to find out what they think is wrong so you can concentrate on getting better. I hope that the hot tub gives you some peaceful times and relaxes those muscle that overwork to move us around when they are weak and struggling to gain strenght. Don’t over do it but just don’t sit back and do nothing.