Appearing "Normal" After GBS

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I find myself wishing to connect and re-connect with GBS affected people lately. I was diagnosed with GBS in 1989 which left me with some axonal damage and residuals.

Despite my constant “will” to conceal and minimize my “limitations” in the workplace, I tend to feel very alone and disabled in my social life. I try so hard to appear “normal” that it seems to backfire on me when it comes to relationships. Does anyone else encounter this?

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Hello Pam,

I completely understand that “oh you look just fine”. There’s a website http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com that has some good information. My social life went way down 15  years ago and finally, with getting disability and not working this past year, I am able to be a little more social. And for the first time in 15 years, I am attempting to have a relationship. This guy is very patient as I slowly try to educate him on what’s going on with me and my limitations. So far, so good!

I haven’t been on this forum very much for the past year and I too have felt the need to reconnect with my ‘GBS Family’. So here we both are! Where do you live? What kind of work are you doing (which amazes me that  you are still working)? I’m not being nosey, just wanting to get to know you a little bit!

Chrissy