Anyone using Privigen?

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2008 at 3:12 pm

I’m looking for interesting information about Privigen. It is the brand of IVIG that I’m currently on.

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2008 at 8:01 pm

I Lauren! Never heard of that brand in here but pretty sure somebody in here can answer that! Hope you are doing okay and feeling better! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2008 at 9:40 am

[QUOTE=lalathompson]I’m looking for interesting information about Privigen. It is the brand of IVIG that I’m currently on.[/QUOTE]

Hi Lauren,

This is the URL for a document that compares different brands of IGg, side-by-side. Privigen is the last column on the right.

[url]http://www.ashp.org/s_ashp/docs/files/DShort_IVIGsidebysideupdatedDec07.pdf[/url]

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2008 at 4:07 am

Hi Lauren,
      I am taking Privigen. I have been receiving IVIG for six months. I originally had a Loading dose of Carimune and saw results. I then had two more months of Carimune at the Maintenance dosage. There was very little progress. The past three months I have received Privigen at the Load dosage each time. I have been improving. It is my understanding that the change from Caimune to Privigen was due to cost. We have attributed my progress to receiving the loading dose, not the change in the brand of IVIG.
      What has been your experience?
      Donnam

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2008 at 2:39 pm

I’ve only done IVIG twice since my dx in August. Privigen is the only brand of IVIG i’ve done. I tolerate it just fine and walk out of the hospital feeling like a million bucks! I wasn’t sure on the price…but you say its less than others?

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2008 at 12:50 pm

What the nurse said when they switched me to Privigen, it is less expensive for the Infusion Center to purchase. But, the Infusion Center will charge the same to the patient (Insurance Company).

I have not had any bad side effects, but it takes about 10 days before I start feeling better. In that 10 days I do not feel substantially worse, just do not feel better. I read where someone described it as having a hang over and I think that may be an accurate description. The 10 days might have something to do with the increased doses I am receiving. Previouslly, with half the dose, I started feeling better after three days.

I have made a lot of progress, if I look back. It is just so slow. The day before my fist Infusion in April of this year, I tried doing arm curls with 1 1/2 lb. weights. I could only do one with my right arm and four with my left (I am right handed). Ten days after my last Infusion I could easily do 40 with both arms. I do not see progress on a daily basis, it is looking back and realizing I could not do that a few months ago. I still have a long way to go to be back to normal, but I am hoping for a full or near full recovery–even with the word “Chronic”.