Anyone know about Mycophenolate mofetil?

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2008 at 12:41 am

if so, what can you tell me?
      alice

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2008 at 2:37 am

I took a quick look at wikipedia and it looks like that is the chemical name for cellcept. Cellcept is an immunosupresent that some neuro’s like to use as a supplement for or a replacement for both IVIG and Prednisone. I don’t know much more about it but there are several threads about it floating around.

• September 28, 2008 at 5:00 pm

It is cell cept. In the beginning it was suggested for Kevie but I declined after investigation. Being that Kevin responds beautifully to ivig, I did not feel the risk was necessary. If by some chance ivig stopped working, I would have to consider it an option. It basically wipes out the immune system, getting rid of auto antibodies, but antibodies as well (good guys) Where as ivig adds antibodies and if enough is given, floods the system w/ antibodies and basically chokes out the auto antibodies (bad guys) Since the entire immune system is not wiped out, there is no risk for infection or illnes or a host of other symptoms. But if it is a last option, one has to do what one has to do. Good luck.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2008 at 7:45 pm

MMF or mycophenolate or CellCept or whatever you choose to call it is one of the strongest immunosuppressant agent used for treatment of graft rejection. It is also strong with other diseases that need very strong immunosuppression. With this strength is also a higher risk of secondary lymphoma than one typically has to FK506 (tacrilimus), immuran (azathioprine)or sirilimus, or 6-mercaptopurine, or cyclosporin, other immunosuppression options.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases.

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2008 at 11:45 pm

i didn’t realize it was cellcept.
      i wonder which is the safest immune-suppression drug…??

alice

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm

[QUOTE=alice]i didn’t realize it was cellcept.
      i wonder which is the safest immune-suppression drug…??

alice[/QUOTE]
      I wonder that too Alice. I suspect the side effects are all similar. I think that if a person is young and relatively healthy they have less risk. For my husband, he has a great fear of sepsis after having it on Imuran and he is 61 yrs. old. You just don’t bounce back the same way as you age so when you have something like sepsis as a side effect it puts the fear of death into you. We thus far are resisting his neurologist’s attempts to put him on Cellcept due to cost of IVIG. We face another show down over the subject on Oct. 10th. We’re dreading the appt. and having to keep repeating our rationale for not wanting him on it. Dealing with the doctors seems worse than the disease.
      Laurel