Anyone have this area effected?

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2008 at 8:08 pm

How about eyes?

This last month I have been having some issues with my right eye. I wouldn’t call it double vision….but “almost” double vision. Sorry it’s hard to explain. It’s almost as if the right eye is not looking centre but slightly to the left. This is on and off and not everyday. Lasts for a couple of hours and I notice more when I get up in the morning.

On Thursday last week I started to get those electric shock type feelings behind the eye and that only lasted for the day. Now tonight the corner of the eye is burning…same burning feeling I get in my toes and other areas.

Is it possible to have the nerve damage in the eyes? eye muscles?

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2008 at 8:54 pm

lynxgal… I have had trouble with my eyes right along. They get very dry & irratated to the point of being blood shot. I firmly believe this can get into your eyes. It’s usually the last symptom letting me know that it’s going to be a bad day. Sometimes the muscle twitches are there to. Refresh Liquigel are the best drops I’ve found. I’m not sure I’d call it nerve damage… irratation maybe…, (in my case). You’re post is the first I’ve seen confirming
      the eyes. Try the drops & I hope they help ! Jeff

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 4:18 am

Hi Lynxgal,
      I have had probs with my eyes since my first CIDP attack. Especially my right eye – I have trouble with convergence – my right eye doesn’t like to work in unison with my left. So I get the doubled blurred vision – now usually only when I am tired or feeling unwell, when it is more of an effort for the muscles of my eyes to keep focused on objects. My right eye tends to wander a bit outwards then.
      I have had prisms lenses put in my glasses for reading – as it is worse with short distance vision.
      I also have problems with upward gaze – it is really uncomfortable to look up!
      Jeff – I also have the burning, gritty, dry eyes – and use lubricating eye drops as well.
      Good luck,
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 5:40 am

It’s been an issue for me for nearly two years now. I use Refresh Liquigel too, it’s the best but tends to clog up my tear ducts. In addition to the muscles around my eyes not working very well (thus the lazy eye) also the muscles that dilate and constrict the pupil don’t work well either so I get light blindness and it takes awhile for my eyes to adjust to changes. None of this has gone away but I have hope because it’s better, it just takes a lot longer for those areas to recover.

Julie

P.S. It’s my right eye too that is the most affected.

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 12:30 pm

I’m with you also! Have had the eye issues since 05, they seem to wax and wane with the relapses. If I over do it up pops the off vision, not totally double but not right. I have the dryness also, lots of sand on the outside when I wake up, along with tears that roll down whenever they want. I get pain in my right eye at every relapse I go into, its one of my signs. Have been told my eyes don’t follow like they are supposed to, but I can’t tell. Hopefully soon I will be able to go to a neuro opthalmologist to see if there is something that can be done. take care.

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Hi again,

I also have the sluggish pupillary responses to light in both eyes – like Julie has. I’ve had it since my first attack.

Kazza

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Thank you everyone for the responses. It is greatly appreciated. Today I am slightly numbish behind that eye. I have had that sensation before.

Curious about the pupil responses. MONTHS ago my GP was checking my responses with the pen light and I remember him spending a long time checking and rechecking that right eye. He never commented on it but I thought it strange at the time. Still do.

Thanks for all the feed back and the info.

(hugs to all)

Kelly

• November 3, 2008 at 12:22 pm

I have a feeling of irritation in the pupil area of my right eye; particularly if I close my eyes tightly. With a normal blink it is almost unnoticable. It feels like I have “something” in it or it has been scratched. I mentioned it to one of the neurologists and who asked if it felt like “sand” was in it. I thought that was a pretty apt description.

He said that it was probably due to dryness caused by weakness in the muscles that make the tear duct work. He recommended the same lubricant mentioned above. I have twitching in the eye area so it seems sensible.

As I have recovered motor and sensory function the eye irritation has decreased as well. It’s not gone, but it tends to not command the attention it did.

Gary

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 11:45 am

Lynxgal:

I have double vision from CIDP, caused by demyelination of the sixth cranial nerves, which control eye movements. The double vision has been constant for three years. For a period of about 6 months it was so severe that it practically kept me housebound. Patching one eye did not even help, as both eyes were so crooked that if one was patched, I would still literally fall over from disorientation, etc.

I now am able to drive wearing thick prism lenses and I use hand controls.

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Thanks for the info Gary and Billt. I was research cranial nerve vii last night due to weird twitch/spasms of my face that have started to become more frequent. I will have a look at cranial nerve vi tonight and see what I can learn.

Kelly