Anyone have muscle pain during recovery?

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 7:43 pm

I was diagnosed with GBS in early April and spent a week in the hospital taking IGIV for 5 days. My excellent Doc diagnosed it immediately and I was admitted that same day and on IV’s that evening. I became VERY weak and couldn’t walk the next day but have seemed to rebounded quickly and let out within a week. I am growing stronger every day and am back to work. My question is that I have a lot of muscle pain and stiffness in the morning when I get up. A warm shower and moving around seems to help. Does anyone else experience this? I hope it gets better. It feels like I played a hard game of football the day before. My doctor doesn’t seem too concerned. Is this normal?

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 8:46 pm

Keep in close touch with your neuro and therapist. I think it is great that you have come back to quickly but I think you are feeling the effects of doing too much too soon and just might put yourself in to a big relapse. Listen to your body and get rest. That is what the nerves need to heal and exercise is what the muscles need to get stronger. GBS also stands for [B]G[/B]etting [B]B[/B]etter [B]S[/B]lowly! By listening to your body you will learn to pace yourself.

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 8:49 pm

I was ALWAYS sore during the first year or two of recovery. Even now, 20 years post, I am very sensitive to over-exertion.

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 8:55 pm

502 Welcome!

What you are experiencing is very normal. Sounds like you are really doing well, congratulations, just remember that you must not overdo things as this will have an adverse effect.

With regard to the pain. The pain you feel is probably nerve pain, however it does feel like muscle pain. Your myelin or sheath, and possibly your nerves (depending on what ‘type’ GBS) were damaged during the GBS attack. Nerves take a long time to heal, and often the pain is a residual pain from the original attack, or the nerves are regenerating to an extent, and people feel pain or pins and needles associated with this …. or ….possibly you have been pushing yourself too hard and your nerves are ‘screeming’ at you. Many have difficulty in getting up in the morning as everything has been at a rest rate, it does take a while, and often a nice warm shower to get the nerves awake and ready for the day. Many of us also feel as if we have been run over by a train many mornings …. aaaah the joy! :rolleyes: I do hate pushing med’s, however if you arent on meds for nerve pain, and it gets too much, I really feel you shouldnt be too proud to ask for some – its not worth suffering in that way. The above is a very simplistic way of wording things, and obviously there is a whole lot of technical “stuff” out there, but I hope that this explains things a little

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 8:28 pm

Since I’m new to all of this I really appreciate the reassurance. I do not know what to expect or what I should feel like. I went to the neurologist today and he thought I was doing fine, and the pain is fairly typical. He did a blood test because my muscle enzymes have been running high. Hope the number is lower. Anyway, thank you all for the information.:)

About 2 years ago I had another life threatening occurance. I had to have brain surgery to remove an acoustic neuroma. It left me dizzy, deaf in one ear, and I have some facial paralysis now. Additionally, I had a central nevous system leak (brain fluid running out my nose). My equalibrium is not good so I have had to give up on some of my activities. Now I have to recover all over again with this GBS deal. I’m really not complaining as I am just glad to be here and able to work and function fairly well – that’s the real silver lining! I just hope I can get through the next few years illness free.

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 3:56 pm

Hi Iowahawkeye,

It really all has to do with taking it easy on yourself. Get rest, rest and more rest! Take care of yourself and be very kind to your healing body.

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2007 at 5:33 am

hai friend the same thing is happening to my case also. The method ur following to have hotwater bath when u feel like pains is good. It gives good releif. consult the doctor when u feel to. keep up ur will power that helps u tooooo.