Anyone else worried ?

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2009 at 3:51 pm

With the US recently declaring a medical emergency with the Swine flu .. I was just wondering what people were thinking about it and if anyone is scared or concerned ??? Having CIDP we are at a greater risk and should we take certain precautions ?? Just a thought …… Thank you !

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I caught the asian flu in the 60 s I was 10 to 12 years old. (dont remember) but I thought then that I was dying. Caught GBS in my 50es, thought I was dying. If I get the swine flu.I get the swine flu. Deal with it if it happens.

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2009 at 5:29 pm

😮 Hey Beachcomber,
      I’m terrified of this swine flu!
      Because the media is saying that it has hit people who haven’t
      been around a farm or pigs and has gone from animal to humans
      unlike some of the others. But with the condition we all have we
      always have to be on alert to anyone with a cold or flu like system.
      It just freaks me out a bit because I know we can’t take any vaccines
      that may come out to protect us and living in So. California we already
      have had 2 deaths in our area and so many in Mexico. I just try to stay
      as healthy as I can and only go out in large groups of people I know if
      I can help it. Anywhoo, if you’re worried you are not alone.

just ~ Joyce

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2009 at 7:08 pm

I am very worried! This is the time of year when many from Mexico migrate to the Carolina’s on the East Coast to help with farming. Migrant workers! Some are legal while other’s are not. All it takes is one wrong person to get across that border and the pandemic begins. Ohio has one person already infected! And no telling how many in the next coming weeks. I’m staying indoors and away from folks right now because of my immune system. A 24 hour virus a few years back almost did me in. I stayed sick 4 days from that sucker! So I don’t plan on venturing out anywhere anytime soon until I hear no evil, see no evil and evil is gone!
      But it is scary especially knowing 4 in Canada have it. 1 in Ohio and a few other places. All we can do is pray this nasty flu turns out to not be so nasty! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Not worried here.

Flu bugs go around all the time so I’m not going to freak out over this.

We will take our regular precautions such as hand washing & staying out of hospitals/dr’s offices unless absolutely necessary.

I don’t see the point in getting freaked out & worried about it. The flu is going around already & it’s going to go wherever it will go. We live in a global economy so sicknesses spread like wild flowers these days.

Just remember if you do get flu symptoms to wash your hands regularly, don’t sneeze on anyone & stay home!

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I dont see the need to freak out ….however with this condition its nearly impossible to stay out of the doctors office and when you have kids your taking them here and there and everywhere . If even though my child is well aware of what I need to be careful of I am always afraid of penalizing him for my medical condition . :confused:
      And actually my thoughts went to the people who are going to run out and get this new shot they are offering to fight the Swine flu knowing that there is a huge possibility that some of them with end up on this site just as we are . When I got my flu shot I had never heard of Guillian Barre or CIDP. Jeesh half of the doctors I have seen over the years have never even seen or have ever treated it .
      I think we definitely have to worry some …… I know just the things I have gone through and alot of you go through on a daily basis and I think that makes us human 🙂
      Hopefully we all stay healthy and germ free and this passes quickly !

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm

We’re really only at a higher risk if we’re on immuno-suppressants. But I’ve been able to keep pretty healthy over all the years I’ve been on pred.

I’m wondering, tho–how many of us got the swine flu shot in 1976? I’m pretty sure I had it (I was pretty young then), and I got what was diagnosed as mono shortly after that, but in retrospect may have been GBS.

-marie

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2009 at 4:44 am

Wow – I’m having this weird feeling after reading your stuff. Back in 1976 I got sick and was stuffed in the isolation ward of our local hospital because they thought it was Swine Flu as my Dad had just traveled to Asia. I spent a week in that tiny room before they finally diagnosed me with Mono but it took me nearly 6 months to get my strength back. Now you all are making ME wonder if it was GBS… I do not recall if I got a swine flu shot but I will ask my mother when I get a chance. From that moment on I became even more clumsy than usual and had even less stamina. I do think it might have been Mono that I had because I still have the antibodies to Epstein-Barr but I wonder about the following clumsiness and weakness.

I’m not worried about the current version of swine flu – I’ve been dead and close to dead several times. I don’t have a fatalistic approach – rather a survivalist approach, no matter who coughs in my face I’ll make it – I’ve survived worse. I think I could make myself worse just by worrying about it so I’m not going to do that.

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2009 at 8:05 am

I remember the panic of Swine Flu.. I was pretty young then.. We never got vaccinated, but I remember people almost bragging that they were vaccinated. Sadly, I remember a great number of people getting sick from the shot… I should have recalled that great non event before I got the flu shot that gave me gbs…..
      Not a doctor, but I think if you stay healthy (as you can) out there, so you are not a target to get the flu… Hopefully, this is just way overblown…..

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2009 at 11:29 pm

I must admit I have been a bit worried about getting sick as I am on immuno. suppressants and just got over two illnesses. But today I saw my doctor and she said what many have said on here. Not to freak out, take precautions like hand washing and avoiding close contact with others, but enjoy life. Crap is always out there and this is no differant. It helped a little even though I am still a little worried. But I am going to do what others have suggested and just live wisely.
      Linda:p

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 8:09 am

Saw it last night on TV. A little Mexican boy that lives at a hog farm. He caught it a month ago and the doctors didn’t know he had it causing the virus to go haywire and spreading like wild fire. They retested his blood because of his symptoms and sure enough he was the one that caused the outbreak.
      I am worried because I have poor lungs. Bad Asthma and have mild COPD. So for me I am scared. Catching something like this for me would be very life threatening. Plus with all the other ailments I have that makes things even worse! I swear at times I feel like an old lady in her 90’s! And I am only half way there! They even said this will go on all summer and when the fall comes it may get worse. I think I will get the flu shot this time around. Even though it made me sick last time I had it, I would rather be safe then sorry! But then again I might be sorry after the vacine! We shall see! But taking precautions the best I can!

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 10:09 am

I think everyone is right ….take the precautions that we know to take is the key. My doctor had suggested during my last treatment( 2 weeks ago) to go on the immunosuppresents which I had not fully decided to do yet . But I am curious for those of you who are taking them right now with this virus going around do you feel it could make you more suseptible ??
      Just make me curious ……

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Anything that suppresses the immune system makes one more vulnerable to the many “bugs”, “chemicals” etc. with which we come into contact. I understand why immune suppressants are used in many disease processes but a healthy immune system “protects” us. It is our first line of defense.

I also understand doing every thing to strengthen the immune system. Various “complimentary” medical practices are very good at that. [B]An “over active” immune system simply means that it is no longer healthy and needs support to fine homeostasis [/B][B](a healthy balance)[/B]. Eating [I]health-supporting foods[/I], the fresher the better (no sugar, white flour products etc.),[I]fresh air, sunshine[/I], (most Americans are Vit. D deficient) and [I]exercise [/I]for 35 min.,3 days a week will do amazing things for you. That’s a tall order for those of us with diseases that cause a lot of pain. A good diet, fresh air and sunshine don’t cause pain!!

Remember, during the 1976 Swine Flu epidemic many, many people got GBS from the vaccination. (they are currently trying to suppress that info). A vaccination is not the answer to everything. We all come into contact with a gazzillion different kinds of bugs every day and our systems handle most of them just fine. Here’s to your health and don’t let the fear (:eek: stress) get you down. Just do the best you know how.

As Gene would say “take care, be well”. Virtual hugs to all 😀

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 5:55 pm

So far my state has not been effected yet! But the moment I hear of cases happpening. Then I will run, hide and not come out until it’s gone! That poor little boy in Texas. Our first death in the US already. I worry about my son. He is in California and I heard something on the news about a bunch of military guys getting sick.
      I am supposed to go on Chemo in May. I am too debating about holding that off!

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2009 at 8:21 pm

I just read where they have decided not to call it “Swine flu” anymore and just the actualy strain of flu. I think they are scared that people are going to do research on it and find out what the vaccinations can cause and people wont get it ….. thus the pandemic . They are also saying that its in the “White House ” because a government aide now has it as well as some military personnel . I dont wish it on anyone ….but I hope that perhaps in some small way that it causes more of an awareness on our government and gets the Guillian Barre and CIPD noticed and people are more aware of it .
      I do pray that there are no more deaths as a result …… and everyone here is safe from all those germs !:eek: