Anyone been to a GBSFI symposium before?

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2008 at 7:34 am

I just got my GBSFI newsletter in the mail yesterday, and I saw the ad for the symposium in Chicago this November. I’m toying with the idea of attending, but I’ve never been to one of these before. I’m just now about a year out from my initial attack, so this is really the first opportunity I’ve had to possibly attend.

Has anyone else here been to one? Is it a worthwhile experience for someone like me who has had GBS before? What kinds of things do they have planned? Are there enough “social” type of events that I’d be okay going alone, or would I need to try to cajole one of my friends into going with me for the company?

And is anyone here thinking of going this time around? Just curious! 🙂

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Hello Suzanne,
      The symposiums are safe to go to alone, I know 🙂 I am in a wheelchair and I traveled to my first one two years ago from New York to Phoenix. I was okay alone because the airport provides someone to help you and the foundation will tell you how to arrange transportation from airport to hotel.

When I was at the Phoenix symposium we posted on forum about getting our forum group together to go out for lunch. How wonderful it is to meet everyone.

You have a chance to speak to the doctors on the panel so you can have your personal concerns answered.

I’ll do better with my second symposium because I’ve learned how to handle myself better.