Anybody try a medicine called Metanx?

• Anonymous
      November 22, 2006 at 12:40 pm

As a side note to my post about my bad reaction to a pain management clinic shot: besides the Cymbalta (which I’m not taking yet) and Tramadol, the pain mgmt. doctor gave me samples and a prescription to “[B]Metanx[/B]”. Has anybody here tried it-? It seems like it might be helpful; it seems to be mainly for people with elevated levels of something called homocysteine in their blood, but it is also indicated as good for neuropathy. It consists of folate, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12. (The precise formula of Metanx is 2.8mg of L-methylfolate, 25mg of Pyridxal 5-phosphate, 2mg of methylcobalamin.)
      The only thing that worries me is that it apparently decreases the amount of homocysteine in your blood, and I have no idea if that is a good idea for a post-GBS sufferer or not. I know we are pretty much not supposed to screw around with our immune systems any more than necessary. I wonder if I would be better off just buying seperate over-the-counter B6 & B12?
      I figured since everybody here always has much better information and is much more helpful than my doctors and pharmacy, I’d ask here! 🙂
      Thanks~! Bill