Antibody, exercise, and tests

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2006 at 6:23 pm

I was doing some antibody testing research and came across a number of medical articles indicating that exercising past a certain point has a negative effect on the immune system. I didn’t save the earlier articles (that wasn’t what I was looking for at the time), but when I came across this news report, it really hit home. Here’s a short quote: (emphasis is mine)

They are apparently looking for an antibody called Immunoglobulin A (IgA), the levels of which are a measure of whether a player is being over-worked or not. [COLOR=Red](pt, anyone?)[/COLOR] The tests are already used in athletics and football. An over-intensity of exercise causes the levels of the antibody to fall, leading to ill-health, [COLOR=Red]fatigue[/COLOR], and [COLOR=Red]slow recovery[/COLOR] from injury.
      Full article can be found here:
      (Link deleted by Administration)

I’m not saying exercise is bad, just confirming what many of you already know from experience: don’t over do it.

Btw, I never found the answer to the question I was researching – maybe someone here who has had antibody testing would know. If blood is collected a week or so after an ivig infusion, wouldn’t it taint the results if used for an antibody/antigen test?

cd

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2006 at 8:07 pm

I have IgA deficiency, guess I am screwed 🙂

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2006 at 8:17 am

13 years ago I acquired a CIDP related neuropathy known usually as PDN. My site about this neuropathy is shown below at my signature.
      In my case I had an excess of IgA antibodies in my system – explained on the site – and it then met something that led to the inflammation, demyelination and some axonal damage.
      Norb and Allaug post on these forums and the UK one. They have PDN but a slightly different form – different antibody!
      Unusually IgA is the rarest in this neuropathy.:rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2006 at 12:45 pm

good job finding that info, cd. i can tell you it is true, at least for me. when i over do it-i mean really over do it, to the point of not being able to move. i was tested for that last oct, unfortunately it was right after i was given 2 treatments of ivig, and ended up with aseptic menigitis, which i think altered the results. i am going to call my neuro to see if the test could be done tomorrow, i’m almost to the point of not moving now, i’ll let you know what i find out.
      by the way what were you originally looking for? maybe i can help you find something. i love a challenge!:)

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2006 at 4:21 pm

Hi all,

To answer you, angel2ndclass, I have requested antibody testing from the Neuromuscular Clinic. I called them up and found them to be very co-operative and informative. Now, the challenge lies with our local doctors – it seems to us that they are afraid of this phenomenon – and all along, it has been up to me to do the research before I meet w/ them to track the progress/regression of my daughter’s condition. I didn’t think to ask, when I had a lab tech from NeuroClinic on the phone last week, if an ivig treatment just prior to drawing blood for the antibody testing would “obscure” the presence (or absence) of her naturally produced immunoglobulins and their reactions against particular antigens. I know this is a technical question, and was hoping someone that has had antibody testing might have some insight.

Jerimy, you are not screwed! – you are probably the most sane and balanced person here. To clarify, the tests used in sports are a convient way to measure immunoglobulins – IgA is naturally present in salvia. That article made it sound like only IgA is dimished by excessive exercise, but all Ig’s are affected. So, at least hypothetically, someone who feels great right after a boost of Ig, goes out and runs a marathon will have lost the beneficial effects by causing a drop. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting explanation for fatigue. Could it be possible that post-gbs fatigue is an indication of continuing low levels of Igs, even after “recovery”? If that were the case, it could be a “quick & dirty” way to monitor your immune system.

just thinking aloud,
      cd

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2006 at 4:21 pm

I find this info confusing. How can a antibody level tell you if you are working your damaged nerves to hard? It is not a muscle problem but a nerve problem with these diseases. Thanks.

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2006 at 4:47 pm

Judy,

It is confusing!

I am interpreting this as a tool used to measure the effects of a stressful amount of energy expenditure, which shows up as reduced levels of antibodies for a short period of time afterwards. Keep in mind, the article is discussing professional, trained athletes who are healthy. Just imagine how a person with an already altered immune system and damaged nerves might not have the ability to bounce back as quickly.

These are just some of the thoughts bouncing around in my head as I read these articles . . . . I am in not a doctor, or even a nurse!

Hope I did not confuse you more.

cd

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2006 at 8:16 pm

Thanks cd 🙂

Keep the information coming, I love to learn all I can.

Hope you had a good weekend.

Jerimy