Antibiotics okay??

• Anonymous
      December 14, 2006 at 7:48 pm

I had a mild case of GBS starting late July. I still have lots of weird things going on. My numbness pretty much stopped at my knees although my arms and neck had buzzing and twitching sensations. Is it normal to have these buzzing/twitching things still going on since I had such a mild case? My drs. seem to think I am recovered…it is very hard to explain that “Yes, I can work, but what the heck is going on in my body?” Now to my question: I have had a sore throat for over two weeks now and I am taking vitamins, extra vitamin C and juice, but nothing is working. I am kind of afraid to go to the dr because I am wondering if antibiotics will set off worse residuals. My immune system is out of wack. Just wanted some opinions on this. Thanks!!

• Anonymous
      December 14, 2006 at 9:58 pm

hi iowagal,

you are within normal gbs residuals. the medical definition of recovered is if you can do your adls [activites of daily living]. there is no room for how you feel. you must rest as much as you can for long periods of time. it will help all. ‘colds’ can take a month or more to leave a gbser. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      December 15, 2006 at 12:23 am

Nate has had lots of them since he was diagnosed with gbs.
      He had Strep infection in his kidneys, and a really bad cold twice while in the Convalescent Hospital.
      He also had lots of dental work done during his 9 1/2 mo stay there. They gave him 2,000mg Amoxicillin the morning before he had any work done.
      His dentist told me that gbs patients are not good infection fighters due to immune system compromise.
      They have no choice and Nate doesn’t seem to have any reaction to the antibiotics.
      Tell your doctor you have had gbs. Tell anyone that has anything to do with medicine, dentists, ER people, etc.
      Its very important. Your immune system is not normal now and they need to know.

• Anonymous
      December 15, 2006 at 3:22 pm

I was told I had a mild case and have had to deal with more residuals these past few years… Gene’s advice on rest and more rest is so correct.

I have taken antibiotics over the years many, many times. Also, a few years ago I had the real flu – it sucked as I was on my couch for a week and took that antiviral medicine.

Hang in there!

• Anonymous
      December 18, 2006 at 11:09 pm

Thanks for your responses. It is amazing how much I learn from this site! It always makes me feel better just knowing I am not the only one coping with residuals (didn’t even know there was such a thing 6 months ago!) I just need to be more patient and definitely rest more! Happy Holidays everyone!!!