Another New Trial For Cidp

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2009 at 11:05 am

Hi all,
      Ran across this this morning. Let’s hope more trials keep going for CIDP.

City: Portland
      State: OR
      Zip Code: 97239
      Conditions: CIDP – Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy
      Purpose: The purpose of the study is to examine if alpha lipoic acid is an effective treatment for chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP).
      Study summary: Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) is a progressive disease leading to paralysis. CIDP is an immune-mediated disorder resulting from a synergistic interaction of T cell-mediated and B cell-mediated immune responses directed against peripheral nerve antigens. These immune mediated responses in turn increase the production of reactive oxygen intermediate and cause oxidative damage of the peripheral nerve system. Although corticosteroids, plasma exchange, and intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg) reduce impairment caused by CIDP at least temporarily and can be used as a first-line treatments, they are not ideal for long-term treatment because of serious side effects and cost. Alpha lipoic acid (LA) is an antioxidant that also possesses anti-immune activity. It is effective in treating diabetic neuropathy. It is also promising in treating patients with multiple sclerosis.
      Criteria: Inclusion Criteria: – diagnosis of CIDP – on a stable dose of immunotherapy for at least 3 months before enrolling in the study Exclusion Criteria: – myelopathy or evidence of central demyelination – persistent neurological deficits from stroke, CNS trauma, or peripheral neuropathy from other causes (eg, diabetes mellitus, IgM, paraproteinaemia, or uraemic, toxic, or familial neuropathy) – evidence of systemic disease that might cause neuropathy – heart diseases (congestive heart failure or arrhythmia) – pulmonary conditions (asthma or CIPD) – rheumatoid conditions (such as rheumatoid arthritis) – renal failure

Study is available at: Oregon Health & Science University
      Portland, OR 97239
      United States

Primary Contact:
      Diana Dimitrova, PhD
      Email: dimitrov@ohsu.edu
      Phone: 503-494-7269

Secondary Contact:
      Diana Dimitrova, PhD
      Email: dimitrov@ohsu.edu
      Phone: 503-494-7269
      If you are interested in this clinical trial please use the contact information above. If you would like to get additional information about this clinical trial please visit ClinicalTrials.gov.

Trials Alerts: If you would like to be notified of new clinical trials as they become available please register for a free account.

——————————————————————————–

Data Source: ClinicalTrials.gov
      Date Processed: December 7, 2009
      Modifications to
      this listing: Only selected fields are shown, please use the link above to view all information about this clinical trial.

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2009 at 11:50 am

I was just reading a post this morning of KatyK here at this website who takes this pill. I dont know if she is apart of this trial or if she is just taking the medication. we should ask her.

• December 8, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Hi Rhomcc and Kedaso!

In answer to your post about alpha lipoic acid. I am not part of the trial, however, I started taking alpha lipoic acid before I was diagnosed with CIDP.
      I was taking the nutrient along with L Carnitine because I had so much pain.
      I learned about alpha lipoic acid and L Carnitine in a Natural, New Age, Alternative Medicine book.
      I started taking Prednisone in Oct. 2008 and by Dec. 2008 (two monthe later) I didn’t need anything for pain anymore. I am still taking the above mentioned nutrients and cannot scientifically vouch for their benefit, but I think there’s a good chance they’r helping.
      When I learned just recently about the trial I saw that they were giving
      twice as much as I was taking so I upped my dosage to that amount.
      Alpha lipoic acid has been used for years in Europe to help with Diabetic Neuropathy.
      Right now my Neuro is weaning me off the Prednisone slowly and he says the nerves in my feet should come back, but it will be slow. I don’t think we know for sure what will happen with this uncommon beast, but if my thoughts had their way we’d all be cured.
      So happy to hear from you Kedaso. You have been in my prayers. Rhomcc I appreciate your posts and don’t worry I pray for you and all the rest as well.

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2009 at 8:57 pm

[I]Katy, I’m taking alpha lipoic acid capsules. Allaug was the person here who first mentioned this, I believe. I’m taking 600 mg/day. What is the double dose the Oregon study is using?

Interesting in that Diana Dimitrova is the person in charge. There was another study, also re CIDP, that she was involved in. Must look back in my notes.

I must say ( with fingers crossed and a hearty thump on nearby wood ) that this is what seems to have made the most difference for me as far as pinpricks and electric shocks are concerned. Still have “burning” issues to deal with, but much less of the other two. Am on gabapentin, of course, and while that helped, it did seem to make a significant difference when I started the ALA as well.

A P.S. here … I did look back. I contacted her back in August. How I learned of the ALA trial I don’t remember. They were enrolling then and expected to have some answers in a year or two.

It can’t hurt. It might help.[/I] 😉

• December 9, 2009 at 1:06 am

Hi Rocky,
      The trial started out at 600 mg and doubled to 1,200mg. You can go to the Clincal Trials.gov website and search for CIDP.
      I am also taking Acetyl L Carnitine along with the Alpha Lipoic Acid .. I mistakenly posted
      L Carnitine instead of Acetyl L Carnitine (2000mg or more)
      I am not a pro at scientific research of course, but when I looked up these nutrients separately the current view is that they are safe in large amounts.
      That info could be wrong, but they are using the ALA supplement in the trial.
      Acetyl L Carnitine is suppose to be good for nerve pain and ALA has been used for years in Europe for Diabetic Neuropathy pain.
      It will be interesting to see the trial’s results.
      I agree when you said it can’t hurt.
      There are so many variables in these medical mysteries that it boggles my mind.