Another (Ho-hum) Sunset from Alaska

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 5:03 pm

[IMG]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1086/549142499_2860bc148c_o.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 6:20 pm

OMG!!!! That is absolutely stunning!!! Are you on a cruise there? Do you live there? When did you take this? How long are the days now? What camera are you using? Sorry for all the questions…. my dad was a photographer- I LOVE photo art!:)

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 7:11 pm

Ken, great shot. This must have been taken close to Midnight. We were there around this time of the year a few years ago and the sun was setting for a short while in Anchorage waiting for our plane back to the lower 48, as they call it there.,

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 7:29 pm

[QUOTE=sylvia’85]OMG!!!! That is absolutely stunning!!! Are you on a cruise there? Do you live there? When did you take this? How long are the days now? What camera are you using? Sorry for all the questions…. my dad was a photographer- I LOVE photo art!:)[/QUOTE]
      Thank you Sylvia!

We cruised to Alaska from San Francisco on May 12th.
      We live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
      The days are longer now….and they get much longer! Photo taken at 10pm.
      I use a Nikon D200, and was using a Nikkor 28-70/f2.8 lens (“The Beast”)

Here’s the URL for my photos: “http://flickr.com/photos/ken-l/collections/”

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 7:31 pm

[QUOTE=norb]Ken, great shot. This must have been taken close to Midnight. We were there around this time of the year a few years ago and the sun was setting for a short while in Anchorage waiting for our plane back to the lower 48, as they call it there.,[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Norb!

It was right about 10 PM. On our cruise last year in June we still had light after midnight.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 7:55 pm

Ken,

Your collection is astounding. I grew up in the Bay Area and am now even more homesick than ever! 😮 Your cat Callie (i think that was it) looks exactly like our Chloe.

Thanks again for sharing these beautiful images.

For those of you who haven’t checked out Ken’s Flikr site, please do yourself a favor!!

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 10:48 pm

Ken, that is anything but a ho-hum sunset! Wow what a pic!:D

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 11:34 pm

[QUOTE=sylvia’85]Ken,

Your collection is astounding. I grew up in the Bay Area and am now even more homesick than ever! 😮 Your cat Callie (i think that was it) looks exactly like our Chloe.

Thanks again for sharing these beautiful images.

For those of you who haven’t checked out Ken’s Flikr site, please do yourself a favor!![/QUOTE]
      Thank you Sylvia! Chloe must be terrific! We still miss Callie.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 11:35 pm

[QUOTE=angel2ndclass22699]Ken, that is anything but a ho-hum sunset! Wow what a pic!:D[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Cheryl!

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 8:57 am

I agree with Angel…hardly ho-hum !

I took a picure of the sunrise in Cancun and it was amazing. I also have one at sunrise in Vegas of a hotel that I cant think of the name of it right now…it looks like a post card. If I can find it and if I can figure out how to put things on here…I’ll post it.

If you ever get close to Omaha…you’re hired !

great photos !

Stacey

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 11:50 am

[QUOTE=ConnorZmom]I agree with Angel…hardly ho-hum !

I took a picure of the sunrise in Cancun and it was amazing. I also have one at sunrise in Vegas of a hotel that I cant think of the name of it right now…it looks like a post card. If I can find it and if I can figure out how to put things on here…I’ll post it.

If you ever get close to Omaha…you’re hired !

great photos !

Stacey[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Stacey! I’ve been to Omaha….I liked it! And, they have plenty of one of my favorite things: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches! Can’t find those away from the Midwest….even Burger King in Omaha had them when I was there!

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 3:37 pm

I agree with Cheryl it is not ho-hum but it is fantistic.

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 3:58 pm

[QUOTE=JEF]I agree with Cheryl it is not ho-hum but it is fantistic.[/QUOTE]
      Thanks JEF!

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 12:29 am

Wonderful Sunset picture.

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 5:02 am

Read your other posting about the camera and was thinking about the one you use. So I will check into that an see if I can afford it for Christmas. Love the sunset! Woke up again not sleeping and when I saw this, the first thing I thought of was me sitting on the beach looking into the sunset! Beautiful! Beautiful! Stunning

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 8:14 am

Ken, as usual, nothing but out of the ordinary. Thanks for being so generous in sharing your talent with us.

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 1:51 pm

[QUOTE=Mauricette]Wonderful Sunset picture.[/QUOTE]
      Thank you Mauricette!

Wow….a year old post comes back to life!

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 1:56 pm

[QUOTE=LindaH]Read your other posting about the camera and was thinking about the one you use. So I will check into that an see if I can afford it for Christmas. Love the sunset! Woke up again not sleeping and when I saw this, the first thing I thought of was me sitting on the beach looking into the sunset! Beautiful! Beautiful! Stunning[/QUOTE]

Thank you Linda!

The D300 is “the cat’s meow”….. As with the other cameras I’ve owned I only use a fraction of its features!

In spite of all the features, you can put it in Automatic Mode (the “P” setting, translated Programmed) and let it do the work!

As you learn about what the other settings are for you’ll use them too!

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 1:57 pm

[QUOTE=jan’83]Ken, as usual, nothing but out of the ordinary. Thanks for being so generous in sharing your talent with us.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Jan!

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Thank-you Ken! Now that I know what you are using I will see about pricing them. I take alot of pictures but have a problem with the shaky hands so all the advice you gave me was really helpful! Thanks for sharing!

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 8:05 pm

[QUOTE=LindaH]Thank-you Ken! Now that I know what you are using I will see about pricing them. I take alot of pictures but have a problem with the shaky hands so all the advice you gave me was really helpful! Thanks for sharing![/QUOTE]

I still don’t have all my feeling back in my fingers and can’t keep my balance well…..

So, you definitely want/need a VR (Vibration Reduction) lens!

In the Canon line they call that IS (Image Stabilizer).

With good VR or IS shakey hands won’t be a problem except in very low light (long shutter speed)….but a VR lens helps a lot with that too, although then a sturdy tripod is a must.

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2008 at 2:50 am

Thank-you Ken for all the advice. Looking around and have spotted a few online. Talking to my husband now about us getting one. Your advice has been very helpful!