Anniversary date

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 10:43 am

Five years ago today I became ill with Guillain Barre-luckily my Neurologist, who knows my husband and I diagnosed me within 5 minutes of seeing me. I had started having symptoms the day before, and the day after I started plasma pheresis treatments, and I was hospitalized for almost 9 weeks, and I was paralyzed from the neck down. I did not need to be vented, thank heavens, but I did have serious problems with my sodium dropping. I took outpatient therapy for 8 weeks, and I am back to work part time as a Realtor, and I appreciate every moment of the day. I have some residuals of numbness and tingling sensations in my legs and arms, but I can deal with that. I think I am still healing, and I do take much better care of myself. I am a type personality and was working between 60 and 70 hours a week, helping with our 2 young grandchildren, entertaining, volunteering, and sleeping about 5 hours a night. Since my illness, my husband now has a very rare muscular disease which he is dealing with, and we have lost alot of dear friends to cancer, so we both look at our life as wonderful and take one day at a time. This board is fantastic and was such a tremendous support system to me. I don’t get on often enough, but I think that is a good sign, but I certainly care and support all that are here. Best of luck to everyone who has this dreaded disease.
      elayne

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 1:03 pm

Congratulations on a happy A~date 🙂

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 2:34 pm

Congrats Elayne on your anniversary

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 4:30 pm

Elayne,

Congratdulations on you anniversary! Good to hear that you are doing so well, and especially that your attitude is so good.

BTW – I really believe that not getting enough rest (mentally, emotionally, and physically) leaves us open to lots of diseases. I do hope GBS has helped you by letting you slow down. Rest is the great healer.

Best wishes.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 11:39 pm

Elayne,

Good points about looking at life as wonderful. We can’t take for granted what we have as we don’t know how long we will have it. Appreciation is the key. I must admit this is hard at times with the fatigue and pain but we must rise up above this.

Nice to see you post.
      Debbie

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2006 at 11:19 am

Thanks for the comments on my 5 year anniversary from GBS. It probably took me 2 years to get back to being my ole self according to our friends. I did not realize it at the time. Stairs are still a biggie for me, and in the real estate business I am in I use lots of excuses why I can’t do them which relate to bad knees-which is true. I really have learned to slow down and appreciate each day, and I have to be strong for my husband’s recent diagnosis of muscle deterioration from the waist down. He has a great attitude-in pain all the time-but keeps smiling and keeping as active as he can. Our friends and family and co-workers are a great help too so don’t feel hesitant to rely on people. It was hard to ask for help, but we have learned to accept their generosity. Remember one day at a time and stay positive.
      elayne

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2006 at 11:51 am

Thump it Boss.

Boom shaka laka BOOM BOOM

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2006 at 9:48 pm

Congrats Elayne! love the positive attitude, also. Hope things go well for your husband, too! my 1 year “helliversary” is tomorrow.
      Keep up the good work and give your better half a hug for me!:)