Ankle swelling is driving me crazy

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Does anyone have a method for reducing ankle swelling? My doctor suggests it is from sitting. I can’t walk around all day but I try to move frequently. I was tested to make sure nothing else is wrong/causing the swelling. By mid-day I have bulges on both ankles. Just what I need while fighting GBS.

Thank you in advance.

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Shie,

For your ankle swelling you might need to elevate them above your heart.

I lie on the couch with my feet on the back of the couch high in the air. 🙂

This is the only thing that has helped me so far.

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I too suffer from really bad feet/ankle swelling. Some may be from meds, otherwise I write it up to GBS. I agree with Rhonda that the only thing that helps is getting the feet up. Open to suggestions.

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2009 at 8:16 am

My feet start swelling too but only when I am on them during the day and then at night they hurt something aweful! I elevate them on a pillow at night time and that does seem to help some. Putting a cold pack on them too helps. That really feels good.
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2009 at 8:22 am

I to have very bad swelling in my feet and ankles. I am on them quit a bit so I assume that is what it is from. Elevating them brings some of the swelling down but not all. It’s funny, I went for months without any swelling and all of a sudden, bam, there it is again. I did notice that cooling them down does help alot as well. Just a thought.

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2009 at 9:57 am

Thank you ladies, I will try putting my legs up higher and see how a cold pack feels. Yesterday was the first day I felt like I can endure and conquer GBS. I have been having a hard time accepting this. Now I wonder what other surprises are in store for me. Thanks for helping me out. This support has been so valuable to me. I wish you pain free days.:)

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I agree with everything others have said here but I do have one caution. I have been told that you should get your feet above your buttocks level but that elevating them too high can be hard on your heart. I have sat on the edge of the tub and soaked my feet in cold water for a bit and that helps with the swelling. Watch your salt intake as well. Limit it and see what happens.

Good luck.

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I’ve found that it helps to massage my ankles, legs and feet with mint foot-cream (even the cheap kind you buy at the dollar store works). It brought the swelling down a little, and that was such a relief.
      Also, more frequent resting while flat on my back checked the swelling somewhat, and renewed my energy.