Ankle flex, stiff——

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2011 at 1:15 pm

We’ve a set of ankle/foot braces stashed in the trunk of the car. Used them third day while learning to walk at 160 days post gbs. Left ankle/foot wanted to flip over.

Wife the caregiver, early on, pushed for some kind of contraptions to hopefully prevent foot drop, which she had read about. Two brace type dealies, fur lined, were velcroed to my feet/ankles and were the PITS. Restricted as if blocks of concrete were cast around my feet.

Wore them at night, finally refusing to wear them. Now, today I wished something more comfortable had been supplied, maybe I would have worn them. We’ve been walking (like a village drunk) now for over twenty four months, with slow, slow, slow improvement. Just can not turn up the feet, at the ankle joint. When shaving in the am, I often catch meself almost falling over backwards. Ankle flex gets better the rest of the day, but—

–Mackie

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Hi Mackie,

Do you have ankle braces or an AFO? Were they custom made or off the shelf? Last year, I started wearing a hinged AFO for foot drop (right foot); I couldn’t wear off the shelf as my ankle has little movement. Because of the severity of the “drop”, the brace is comes up to my calf.

I think it’s pretty good that you have more movement in your ankle as the day progresses. Do you think there’s a possibility that specific range of motion exercises can strengthen your ankles?

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Tina——-

Ankle/foot brace or AFO? I dunno. These jobbies were molded/made for my size 12’s, plastic foot pad, hinged both sides to a plastic piece which came to top of calf muscle. Were prescribed by the rehab doctor, and was able to make the PT happy with my walking progress. More therapy as an outpatient for six weeks, using the braces inside huge tennyrunners, with walker then a cane.

Young, oriental therapist was all business and would make screw adjustments each day, which tended to lift my toes higher. Learned to walk with cane on carpet, to pay attention and not dig in a toe and trip. Could have cut my learning time in half but that cute kid hanging around my waist made work enjoyable.:D

Year later, went back for a dose of therapy, at a sports center. PT could not believe how stiff ankles were. Did the ABC’s, toe lifts, foot stands and some kind of electrical apparatus for 1 1/2 hours per day. Helped a little, but not much.

We’ll make it——

–Mackie

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2011 at 9:19 am

[QUOTE=Mackie]Tina——-

Could have cut my learning time in half but that cute kid hanging around my waist made work enjoyable.:D

We’ll make it——

–Mackie[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha…..I see. You were, um, distracted. 😀 Thanks for supplying my morning laugh.

Yep, we ‘ll certainly make it.

Have a wonderful day!

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Mae-sei (Macy) arrived stateside with six cousins, all bailed from mainland China, because they were female. She was in early teens.

After education and a couple years of nursing, she worked to become a PT. Finally married an American blue collar worker, and got a sixteen yo ‘son’ in the deal. She is probably in late 20’s, very early 30’s. Very sharp, very private with a good sense of humor.

–Mackie

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Wait for it, the natural heel to toe roll as you walk forward. I noticed mine again in the 3rd year. Try a little barefoot walking indoors, concentrating on this movement.
      I also rotate my ankles well each way, before I get out of bed or stand up from a sitting position. Some of my ankle/foot swelling is going away, and I have more control of my steps. Still get easily tired and weak, with terrible foot pain then, but have adjusted by pacing myself with my activities. And my beaded foot massager helps too. (too bad we can’t all hire somebody to give us foot massages..)