Anesthesia safety

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2009 at 1:16 am

My son Nathan had to have more surgery last week. More residuals from GBS almost 4 yrs ago.
      He has a neurogenic bladder and has gotten now 7 urinary infections in just 3 yrs, including kidney infections and kidney failure.
      This has caused a lot of scar tissue to build up in his ureters and urethra.
      His new Urologist in La Mesa knew when Nathan had a very hard time going, that it was time to clear the scar tissue out.
      His Anesthesiologist saw the document I printed out with all of the information I could think of about Nathans history. I am so glad I did that.
      She came in to see us before he went into the OR and talked to us.
      She said that she did some research the night before to see if there are any dangers with anesthetizing a GBS patient. I’m so glad she did that.
      She told us that Succinylcholine, which is commonly used in anesthesia cannot be used for a GBS patient as it can cause cardiac arrest. She said that normally they would use that for his type of surgery. That’s scary.
      Nathan’s doctor says he might need that type of surgery twice yearly and possibly need reconstruction if it doesn’t work.
      Time will tell. Right now he is doing ok with that part.
      I want to make sure none of you have surgery and not know about the dangers of anesthesia.
      Please put this info in your medical charts for all of your doctors. It can save your life.
      Trudy, Natesmom

• November 13, 2009 at 8:52 pm

hope all goes well!

does he see anyone at Kaiser? I loved Kaiser dr’s.

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2009 at 12:11 am

We don’t go near Kaiser Drs. They don’t have a very good rep in SoCal.
      Nathan sees the Doctors that work with Sharp Grossmont Hospital in La Mesa, Ca
      That is an excellent hospital with many awards and they take very good care of Nathan and my hubby and Me too. We have all had surgery there, my husband Cancer treatment, Nathan 2 surgeries now and lots of PT.
      His urologist is in a group of them and so far both drs he has seen are really good and caring. They take their time with him, explain everything, and don’t rush him out of their office. I like that.
      Trudy, Natesmom

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2009 at 1:06 am

Not to dispute Natesmom, but I am with fairly_odd_mother: I think highly of my most doctors at Kaiser and very highly of neurologist.

While the Kaiser model has its flaws, it has the definite benefit of being easy. In the four years I have had CIDP, I have not to deal with any paperwork. [Well, actually, that is not quite true. I had some because of an ambulance ride and some more for an out-of-plan emergency visit.] I only have had a small co-pay for my doctor’s visit and for drugs from the pharmacy. IVIg, when I did it, and plasmapheresis have cost me nothing extra. Not that my Kaiser plan is cheap. It runs about $1000/month in premiums. I pay 20% and my employer pays 80%. At this point, I have made back all of the premiums I will ever pay.

MarkEns

• November 15, 2009 at 10:37 am

I lived in that area and went to Sharp Grossmont when i first got sick. They treated me poorly and accused me of having aids, then the neuro told me nothing was wrong with me and all I needed was mental help and sent me home. I tried calling him to get a referral to someone else and he refused to talk to me or take my calls or return any. Only once and again he told me to seek mental help because other than that I was fine. Even Scripps would not talk to me, none of the neuros or dr’s seemed to believe me, except Kaiser. I was immediately seen and when the neuro listened to my story and looked at me….three horrible months later….he was very quick to diagnose me and order a nerve test. I was treated with dignity and respect by every doctor I saw over at Kaiser, I had never been treated so well in my life. Even my mother had trouble with the dr’s at SG and we had to insist she see someone else because they belittled her and treated her like a hypochondriac.

I am glad you have had better luck with the Sharp Grossmont doctors and I pray it continues. And I really hope Nate has better days and more recovery.