Alternative treatments

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Greetings,

I am planning to try an alternative treatment consisting of the following:

1) Serrapeptase
      2) Quercitin
      3) Chinese Thoroughfax

have any of you tried these? What did you experience?

I have a mild form of an immune mediated neuropathy (CIDP is as close as I have found) that is attacking my autonomic nerves (mostly in feet and hands). I have had about 25% improvement with ~ 6 weeks of IV Solumedrol at a dosage of 1000mg/week. I am wondering if there is anything from chinese medicine that can help me.

Thanks,

Mark

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm

MCJohnson:
      The only one I have tried was Quercitin, and I didn’t notice any change in my condition. By all means consider alternative medicine; lots of us have. CIDP is so subjective that even the established therapies often work — or don’t — depending on the individual response. If you find something that works for you — no matter what it is — go for it. Just be careful, as alternative remedies and treatments can often be downright dangerous.

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Thanks to [url]http://serrapeptase.info/category/studies-and-technical-info/[/url] for this data.

“[I]…A wealth of information exists regarding its anti-inflammatory properties. Serrapeptase has been used as an anti-inflammatory agent in the treatment of:

Chronic sinusitis
      To improve the elimination of bronchopulmonary secretions
      Traumatic injury (e.g. sprains and torn ligaments)
      Post-operative inflammation
      To facilitate the therapeutic effect of antibiotics in the treatment of infections
      Cystitis and epididymitis..[/I]”

From the perspective that ‘they’ compare this enzyme to EDTA, Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, used, among other things for patients with very high blood levels of lead poisoning and since then, supposedly, to reduce arterial inflammation or CAD, coronary artery disease.

So, then YES, I underwent 20-30, or more, EDTA intravenous treatments back in the 1990’s. Couldn’t say they helped my CIDP at all. No proof it did anything except I haven’t had a heart attack.

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 5:41 pm

After researching this one, I’m sure I also took quercitin over the years, years ago.

Maybe it helped reduce my painful feelings of tingling and burning. I couldn’t say. I did take all sorts of things.

For purely research purposes ask your provider about a Traditional Chinese Medicine called Astragulus and Ligustrum Formula from Golden Flower.

The problem I have with some of these preparations is that they are intended to improve, that is increase, your immune system.

In my case, and in the case of anyone taking immunosuppressants of any kind, we desire the opposite effect.

From a strictly medical perspective, and I mean Chinese Medicine, I have been to China many times. I stayed for weeks each time. I went to both famous and not famous Western Chinese based Institutions and to Chinese Traditional Medicine Institutions.

Yes, ok, that means I have also tried acupuncture, Chinese massage, and electrical stimulation.

At no time, did any of those 10-20, or so, doctors suggest a herbal remedy for my condition. I did find a Chinese Herbal Doctor in Los Angeles in the early 2000’s and tried whatever concoction he prepared. I guess it did not help at all. But, I didn’t take it for more than about 6 months.

About your autonomic nervous system problem- why do you say the autonomic problem affects your feet and hands? I’m confused by this.

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I couldn’t find anything on Chinese Thoroughfax.

Do you have another name? The Chinese (中国) name, or the pinyin (拼音) alphabetized characters.

Something like Yin Chiao (Yin Chiao Chieh Tu Pien), 96 ct, Plum Flower, for example?

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2011 at 1:51 am

Yuehan,

Sorry – I mistyped this one. What I am preparing to try is Chinese Thoroughwax.

My neuropathy is strange. It effects the autonomic nerves that control vasodilation and constriction in my hands and feet. My heart is also effected. During the day, when my sympathetic nervous system is dominant, my extremeties are very cold and stingy. Insufficient blood flow. Then in the evening, when my parasympathetic nervous system takes over, my extremeties become burning not (~99 F) especially when I stand up. If I put pressure on the bottom of my feet, it is as if it signals my feet to explode with blood. When this happens, I can only walk a few steps and I must sit down and cool my feet off with water.

My neuro tells me that autonomic nerves are usually non myelinated but that autoimmunity can attack those nerves as well as motor nerves. My sense of fine touch and temperature sensation are unimpaired. My strength and reflexes are unimpaired. But the condition is painful.

Do you know anyone that has something similar?

Thanks,

Mark

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Yes, I can see why you would want to try this.

“…[I]In laboratory tests, saikogenin [/I](one of the components of the herb) [I]has shown potent anti-inflammatory properties, which recommend it for treating disorders in which inflammation and swelling are problematic. Saikogenin has been shown to increase the effectiveness of cortisone drugs, which are pharmaceutical steroids prescribed for arthritis, asthma, inflammation and other conditions. Bupleurum significantly increased the action of the cortisone drug prednisone in some lab tests. Another benefit of bupleurum is that it has been shown to protect the adrenal glands from the damaging effects of cortisone drugs…[/I]”

From- [url]http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_g2603/is_0002/ai_2603000276/[/url]

However more than one reference site said it is usually used in combination with other herbs. If you’ve found a well trained Herbalist, you’re probably in good hands.

From the (Chinese) perspective of lowering body heat you could also focus on avoiding any fast food fried food, high heat oven baked goods and home cooked high heat oily food. How do I know? My Chinese wife told me so.