Alternative Therapy; Alpha Lipoic Acid + P. neuropathy

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2010 at 10:06 pm

The purpose of this thread is to say, yes, there appears to be proof ALA works. At least on peripheral neuropathy.

“…Alpha-lipoic acid seems to delay or reverse peripheral diabetic neuropathy…”

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20043035

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2010 at 10:54 am

I was told that it only works on diabetic peripheral neuropathy. I was taking it for a bit and didn’t see any changes. I might start up again.

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Hi Jessicah,

If you follow some of those links under the gov’t alternative medicine website, as I hope some people will do, you’ll find that ALA (ACCORDING TO THEM, NOT ME) is a part of “every cell in our body.”

Ya, know, each person has to decide for themselves. I have read about ALA for a few years. I bet I first took it in the early 2000’s. I recall ‘they’ said it was under consideration to be put in the vitamin category.

You are correct, It helps heart disease, it helps diabetic neuropathy. Ah, heck, read this from the Linus Pauling Institute.

[url]http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/othernuts/la/[/url]

He is/was a somewhat famous guy. For example, Wikipedia says, among other things “…He was one of the most influential chemists in history and ranks among the most important scientists in any field of the 20th century…”

Well, anyway, it’s a lot to read. Good luck whatever you decide.

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2010 at 4:31 pm

[QUOTE=jessicah]I was told that it only works on diabetic peripheral neuropathy. I was taking it for a bit and didn’t see any changes. I might start up again.[/QUOTE]

So far, it’s only been proven to make a difference in diabetic neuropathy.
      Did you give it at least a 6 month trial? That is realistically the minimum amount of time to [U]notice[/U] a change.

This is the study currently being done at Oregon. They are still recruiting if you live near there. There is a 50% chance of receiving a placebo vs. the ALA.

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I know there is research being done on this but in what amounts is it reccommended?

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2010 at 12:13 pm

[QUOTE=jeanbell1]I know there is research being done on this but in what amounts is it reccommended?[/QUOTE]

[I]that would depend, I suppose … the person on this forum who used ALA for some time, I don’t know the dosage she used or is still using, perhaps. I use one 600 mg capsule/day. Some use double that. Some only 200 mg. Check out ALA on google, dosages and side effects, etc., and see what you might be comfortable with. I suspect the study is using 1200 mg, but that’s only a guess on my part.[/I]

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Rocky36 is correct. On all counts.

The Oregon State Study has been mentioned on this forum several times. Gosh, too bad we don’t have a “sticky” folder called ‘Alpha Lipoic Acid,’ then all these threads could be combined.

Here’s the link to the study: [url]http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00962429?term=oregon+state+and+alpha+lipoic+acid&rank=6[/url]

Here’s the answer to your question about the study amounts:

“Drug: lipoic acid Subjects will be started on a single daily dose of 600 mg of alpha lipoic acid or placebo for the first 4 weeks and then increased to 1200 mg for the remainder of the study.” (Study appears to be 16 weeks)

As pointed out somewhere, you have a chance of being given placebo if you participate in the study.

I suppose the advantages, if any, are the free evaluation and motor testing. On the other hand you will pay your own transportation and lodging fees. Oregon is a great place to visit (a great place to live too) . I used to live in Roseburg.

• Anonymous
      July 4, 2010 at 6:44 am

Hello folks,
      I was out of the forum for some time, but I want to share this I´m trying.
      I quit the azatioprine (imuran), and quikly started with pains and pins and needles, so restarted the gabapentin/foxetin combo. My neuro wanted me to try de alpha lipoic acid, good for diabetes, but seems to be use as an immunemodulator too in multiple sclerosis trials.
      I started ALA 2x600mg, 3 weeks ago, with no more medications (no gabpentin, no foxetin).
      My pains in the lumbar area have gone. Sitll some weakness and balance problems in my legs, i´m working with a physiotherapist right now.

Best wishes, Pablo,

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Hello “ALA mates”.
      There is no news about ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) and CIDP at the clinical trial page; [url]http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00962429[/url]
      I´m still having 3x600mg/day dose.
      I tried to quit it when I seem to be ok (no pains, no numbness, no lack of strength and fatigue), but have to take it back in a few weeks when the CIDP sympthoms cames backs.