alendronate

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 1:19 pm

my neuro began me on alendronate–
      anyone have experience with it? it’s to counteract the bone weakening caused by prednisone…

alice

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Hi Alice-I just googled Fosamax, and have heard of it, but my neuro put me on high doses of calcium and D initially, Had developed osteopenia and he upped the calcium, my last bone density test was normal!! Good luck on the Fosamax–taking it looks a little tricky, but not hard. Good luck Alice.

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Hi ya Alice,
      Yes it is classed as a biphosphanate, which as you mentioned is to counter the nasties of long term steriod use. I have been on etidronate for a while now, for a 2 week period every three months. There are a few things to consider if taking biphosphanates ie denstist work including extractions of wisdom teeth etc as it alters the bone/cavity healing process.
      Am glad to hear your neuro is taking steps to help reduce possible longterm side effects for you. Hope you still doing well, will continue to watch your progress in your postings.
      all the best
      kiwi

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 10:07 pm

thank you both for your feedback!
      keep in touch–
      alice

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 3:29 am

They started me on Boniva. A Monthly pill for my osteosporsis. Long term prednisone really beats the bones up! It’s not cheap either but it has helped my bone density testing. Great drug! Really like the Boniva.

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 7:05 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”3″][COLOR=”Blue”]Hi Alice! I’ve not been able to visit the site in a while so I just got caught up on your most recent posts. My doc had me take a Calcium +D supplement (Oscal +D) so I am not familiar with the alendronate. I am glad that he is taking steps to counter act the possible side effects.
      I noticed on an earlier post that you were not sure of the dosage and the doc had tried lowering it once or twice. I know that when I first started taking Pred, the doc had me on 60mg for about 6 months. Then we spent the next 2 1/2 to 3 years lowering the dose till I was totally off it. So it was a pretty slow and deliberate (and sometimes frustrating) process. I just wanted to let you know to not get discouraged (sometimes easier said than done….I remember). Are you drinking lots of water? The pred causes you to retain so any food with salt makes you look like you ate a horse! I drank so much water that I had to pee at least every half hour. Not always the most convenient but it did help. Plus it helps flush out your body and you might just generally feel better.
      Well I have to get back to work. I wanted to pop in and say hello and see how you’ve been doing. Keep smiling and keep your chin up![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Hi Alice, I was put on calcium+d, so I can’t say anything about the other stuff. As Lilly mentioned make sure you drink enough water. And if you are prone to kidney stones, please watch your functions, thats why I can’t take supplements anymore. Another thing to add to your diet is alot of calcium rich dairy products. Keep us updated. Take care.

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Hi ya Alice, just to let you know in regards to my earlier post in this thread, while i am taking etidronate (a biphosphanate) i am also on prescribed daily calcuim supplements. Have been on these from day one of commencing any form of pred and have been on the etidronate since started the high doses of pulse methylpred. Also have good wholesome diet, plus good strenuous exercise regieme all to combat the possibility of the many related side effects due to taking the steriods.
      all the best, hope you having a great day, the sun is out here with lambs skipping, and blossoms everywhere. is gorgous
      kiwi

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 2:12 am

Where do you live? It is pouring rain here! Lots of early promise, but…pretty wet!

Debs

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 10:57 am

thanks for the feedback…

alice

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 2:14 pm

I have a question. I have been told by numerous doctors that prednisone is not good for people who have had GBS and someone I know with CIDP was told the same thing. I have heard many of you, however, say that you are taking it. Just curious.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 4:31 pm

my neuro believes the complete contrary. says that it has a 90% efficacy rate while ivig has only 50%. he also acknowledges the side effects…

it’s the only thing that has helped me.
      alice