AFO update part two

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2007 at 1:46 pm

The orthotist…is that what they are called ?…called me today about my insurance. Every time he called to get benefit info, he got a different story. I called myself and everything is a go and I will get my new “magic leg” in the next ten days. My insurance co is a mess with their customer service.

After I hung up I just sobbed. I am really having a feel sorry for myself day…everything with my mom and myself is finally just getting to me BAD.
      I know I’ll be ok but please pray for me that when I go to get this new thing that I dont cry in front of the guy. He’s so sweet and very kind and really pretty cute. ๐Ÿ™‚
      How embarrassing it will be for me to cry. Am I just vain or what ? God give me strength !

just needed to vent…
      time to get back to work…
      hugs to you guys…
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Hi Stacey from up Northern Neb. Things are bad, but you can hang in there. Lots of prayers for you thru these forums. The AFO’s are not so bad at least they help you safety. Believe broken bones from falls are not much fun. Your Mom and I are the same age. I can appreciate how she feels mentally. I feel like giving up alot. I think the Cymbalta helps alot, it also is to help nerve pain. Maybe you should think about asking the Neuro about it thru these difficult times. Sincerely, Regina
      PS Those darn Huskers are not helping any of us to be happy in this state, watch Volleyball, they are winners!!!!!:D

• November 6, 2007 at 7:57 pm

WELL,
      Frankly, if the guy is cute, some tears might actually get you a hug from a totally hot guy! Now that would be a definite boost to your morale!!! Ha HA!

Regarding your afo’s, I am so glad it is finally going to happen for you!!!!

The other day I was wondering if you ever went for your ivig, I seem to remember you were scheduled when your mom was dx. Were you able to get in?

How is your mother doing, what is the outlook? Is your sister helping with some of the duties yet?

How is your little man doing? Just think soon it will be Christmas and you can start shopping for toys with your new afo’s and walking with confidence.

I am so proud of all of us, in some way or another, whatever the dilema, health, family, we all seem to be excepting things lateley!! You, Kevie, me, Liz, and on and on. Good job to all of us!!!

Have a great day tommorrow and what the heck, hug the afo guy and thank him for helping you, if he is that hot, I would Ha Ha !!

Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2007 at 9:26 pm

Dang it..I lost my post.

Regina, Callahan and Cosgrove have got to go ! I’ll always be a husker fan but I dont ever want to be this embarrased again ! eek.

Dawn, you are funny ! Do you live in Illinois ? My oldest sister recently moved there..so, I only have one sis here helping with my mom…but if I go visit her and you live near Chicago..we need to get together for some laughs.

My mom is still in the nursing home…due to come home next week….it’s been rough and I’ll talk about that later. She will be happy to come home and I cant blame her for wanting to try. We dont know how long she will be there. It’s heart breaking.

I have not gone for IVIG b/c I havent been able to schedule the five days in a row and have the time to be resting b/c I feel like crap each night after infusion. Soooooo, yes, I know…I should make the time but I really just cant.
      And, I’m maintaining pretty well…nothing is worse, all is the same so I’m ok.
      The AFO is a huge step for me.

My lil man is my reason for smiling every day. He has some new jammies from the disney store that are Dash from the Incredibles movie and he’s running around here tonite…so cute. Blonde and big brown eyes…usually he is a jedi but tonite he is Dash. Or, a month ago he was always Ash from Pokemon.
      I cant keep up and cant afford all the toys !

And, as for the hottie doing the AFO….I’m too shy to hug him ! I think I blush when we make eye contact. Haha. I’ll just sit and smile and pray I dont cry like a big baby in front of him. :rolleyes:
      My hubby is my prince…I’d be lost without him.
      I havent told him the guy is cute…he’d tease me. ๐Ÿ™‚

goodnite all.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Hey Stacey,
      Just wanted to give you some support for getting your AFO. I was pretty emotional when I got fitted and then when I picked them up. But I also felt so good in them and they are so pretty (Purple with butterflies) that I was kind of excited tool. Like I was getting a new toy! I was also self conscious walking around in them but I have gotten better. I don’t wear them everyday and now my challenge is finding winter boots or shoes that will fit them. I think the fact that we have come this far is really worth celebrating in terms of acceptance. Its o.k.to be emotional about this. It is a hard pill to swallow so feel your feelings while still moving ahead and making these hard choices.
      I hope things go well next week with your mom. Take care.
      LINDA

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2007 at 7:23 am

Thanks Linda.

How do you get colored ones ? and, yes, I’m a dork but what if i wore it on the outside of my pants…or is that a really stupid question ? Just thinking how it’s not going to fit under any of my pants. Maybe my sweats but I cant wear those to work.

• November 7, 2007 at 11:17 am

Hi Stacey,
      We are not far from Chicago, Kevin’s doc is at Rush Univ. which is in the heart of the city. If I have my fuzz buster on, I can make it there in 25 minutes (w/o any road rage!!) I would LOVE to meet you! If you want to pm me your adress, I will see if we have any pokemon stuff left (or donated it already) and I will send it to you. I was so tired of Pokemon, I started calling it pokedork!!

I know your husband is your prince, I was just messing with you, everyone always needs a little attention from a really hot stranger! You may find this odd, as I am a conservative republican living in a suburb, but I think Kid Rock is hot! I don’t know what it is about that bad boy!!

When do you think you can schedule some treatment? Maybe when your mom comes home, you can arrange to have it at her house. Hey, you could even get the nurse to help you with your mom, slip her a twenty or something. I really think that nurses are hard wired with a special compassion, I bet she would see the complexity of your situation and help in a heartbeat.

I hope you have a good day!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2007 at 7:52 pm

Dawn,

I was thinking about your Kid Rock on my way home from the store. He’s not my “it” guy tho I do have a thing for cowboy hats…but, not sure if you know who Creed is…the lead singer…Scott Stapp…now he is MY bad boy. And, I had to laugh b/c I think if I remember right, him and Kid Rock did a video with some stripper girls or something and Kid Rock punched Scott at a party or music thing.

It just made me laugh.

as for the pokemon thing, that is so sweet of you…I will pm you tomorrow.

Not sure when I will go for ivig…want to before the end of the year but with my mom coming home…I just dont know.
      I always feel crappy the night of the infusion.

I am going to my first Physical therapy tomorrow…the place i am going to has a new spiffy balance machine and my dr wanted me to try it. My balance is awful. Cant walk one foot in front of the other or even stand on one leg …half the time I tilt to the left when I go up the stairs.
      So, we’ll see.

thanks for the laugh…and, we’ll see about the hug from the AFO guy. :p

• November 7, 2007 at 8:09 pm

I LOVE CREED! And yes, they did do a “naughty “movie together those bad boys. I admit, Kid Rock needs a bath and might need a brillo pad to remove some of the slime, but for some odd reason, he fascinates me.

I can’t really listen to Creed much any more as their songs are deep and somewhat meloncholy. I need something a little less intense. Nickelback is some nice easy listening and if I am in a really wild mood I’ll pop the Korn or Slipknot cd in.

I think it would be great if you could get the ivig before the New Year, maybe the benefits would help you to gain a new positive outlook for the New Year!!!

I think I remember you mentioning that ivig did not help much, how much did you recieve and how often? Kevin is 114 lbs and he is getting 100 g over four days and this will be every month for a while before we taper to a maintanence dose. I have to say, he more than maintained when we were doing the 6 week loading doses, so hopefully that will be a plan. What is the longest set of consecutive treatments you received in the past, did they allow enough time for improvement and keep the treatments high at first?

Well, have a nice day tommorrow, and don’t worry I’m not not considering leaving my family for Kid Rock, he has been with Pamela Anderson who has been with Tommy Lee who has been with God knows who or WHAT!!!!

Dawn

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2007 at 9:16 pm

Stacey,
      I have AFO’s for both feet up to right below my knees. they are custom made and yes I wear mine on the outside of my pants basically because I really don’t care what people think. also I have found less negative comments with the AFO’s than when I didn’t have them. Think of it this way if you fall without them people talk but if you maybe trip a little with them people don’t even blink. People can be confusing. Wear them with pride because you are able to walk more steadily and if you stand with pride nobody will notice the AFO’s. Good Luck and take care
      Jody

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2007 at 12:45 am

Hi Stacey,
      I am trying to send a picture of my AFO’s. The Ortho baked the material into the plastic. Cool, huh? I hope I did this right so you can see. Let me know.
      Linda

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2007 at 5:15 am

Linda, I’m…speechless! lol, had no idea that could be done.

Stacey, hang in there. Getting a brace was an emotional experience for me, too, but you’ll be just fine. The first week is a bit awkward as you get used to it, then you just forget about it. And you will truly appreciate the added stability that it gives you.

Balance exercises are very effective PT focuses on that with me, too.

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2007 at 7:34 am

L Cala, Those are cool AFO’s! I didn’t know they could do that. They would match my purple cane! ๐Ÿ˜€ OH the things we do to be a little different!!!! :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2007 at 10:48 am

Linda, those are so cool ! I printed the picture. I imagine since the guy is already working on them that he cant do something like that now. Did your guy ask you if you wanted a design or did you ask him ?

I might have to call my guy and see if I have an option like that.

Thanks for sharing….you are stylin ! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2007 at 6:30 pm

Yaaaaay! I Did It! I Am So Glad You Guys Could See The Picture. Stacey, I Didn’t Even Ask For This. When I Walked In And Sat Down, The Ortho Said, “well, Lets Get To The First Important Decision, What Pattern Do You Want?” So Naturally That Made Me Way More Interested In The Whole Idea Of Afo’s So When My Partner Asked If They Had Anything In Brown Poodle (in Honor Of My Dog Michelangelo), The Ortho Left And Came Back With A Whole Book Of Designs. Since There Were No Poodles I Settled For The Butterflies And Now We Call Them My Wings. So See If They Can Hook You Up. In Any Event, I Am Glad You Are Getting What You Need. Take Care.
      Linda