AFO’s HELP!

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2007 at 5:33 pm

My 4 year old was diagnosised in October, and making a very slow recovery. She uses a walker, and is starting with walking canes. We have been prepared that things may not fully recover. I am dealing with everything well, however, I am having issues with her AFO. She has the brace for her foot drop. It wasn’t fuctional for quite a while, thus she didn’t wear it. It has since been modified, but my problem is that I have to buy 2 pairs of shoes for her. One to fit her somewhat normal foot, and one for the brace. Now, I know that things could be worse, but this really bothers me…and is very costly. Does anyone have a suggestion or a solution? With summer coming, she wants to wear sandals like all of her friends, and I can’t blame her, but just the thought of all of these shoes all over makes me crazy! 😮 I will take any suggetions!

Thanks
      Mary

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2007 at 11:05 pm

I can only imagine just how frustrating that is. Shoes can be expensive! After my daughter was dx’d last year I started buying Stride Rites and they run about $50 a pair.

Can you buy a good pair of shoes & then another not so expensive pair. That way you aren’t paying so much money out for them. I’m not really sure how AFO’s work but they might offer enough support of her foot that you could go with the cheaper shoe.

Also you might want to talk the person that does your taxes. Maybe the shoes will be tax deductible.

I hope your daughter continues on in her recovery. It’s slow but she will get there.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2007 at 12:51 am

I don’t have your same problem, as I need AFOs for both of my feet. But when I first got them, my orthotist sent me to a special shoe store, saying that only they would be able to fit me with shoes. I ended up paying $115 for a pair of plain black tie shoes. I soon realized that the braces gave me all of the support I needed, so now I buy the cheapest shoes I can find, usually at Payless for like $12.99 a pair. No sandals for me, however.

BTW that doesn’t seem to be such a slow recovery for GBS…

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2007 at 9:09 am

As far as inexpensive, quality shoes go, I encourage all of my PE students to go to a Steve and Barry’s store, where they have Stephon Marbury’s shoes. He markets extremely inexpensive basketball shoes. I believe child sizes are about $10 per pair. If you go to [url]www.starbury.com[/url], you can see the new models. The old models of shoes are rather plain. However, the newest models look decent to me. I believe there is a link for the nearest stores by you on this website. If not, find the Steve and Barry’s website.

And, no, I’m not a salesman or get any kickback from this advertisement. I just have a lot of lower income students that I try to look out for, so I’m always looking for the best deals in gym shoes for them and ran across the shoes in a Sports Illustrated for Kids article.

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2007 at 11:07 pm

Thanks everyone. At this point my daughter is wearing crocs. She thinks they are really cool, and they will substitute for her sandals at this point. I will check out what everyone has suggested. Now, the goal is to get her to like her AFO, and want to wear it. If anyone has a suggestion for that, especially with summer coming, I fear she is going to be embarassed by it when she wears shorts.
      Mary

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2007 at 11:51 pm

I’m sorry I can remember the name, but when my father lost a leg to cancer there was group that got people together that need different shoe sizes for each foot. I know this doesn’t help much, but perhaps someone else can remember the name lof the organization.

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2007 at 12:43 pm

Hi Mary, i’m just north of you, west of Toledo. just from my experiences-sandals are harder to wear then shoes. i actually just bought a pair of crocs for myself, because i’m the sandal-and no shoe type of person, and i have to use the strap to help keep them on my feet. as long as the afo fits and supports her ankle/foot well there is no reason you can’t go with a less expensive shoe. the afo should do all the work anyway. i have foot drop in both feet, not too bad unless i overdo it, and i wear a pair of good new balance shoes just for the support, when i go walking. otherwise i’m wearing my crocs because they are comfortable-no support, but comfy. i’m sure your positive attitude is such a help and boost to your little lady, keep up the good work. i wish my daughter were younger, i could help you out more. if there is anything i can help you with just let me know or pm me. take care.