AFO finally

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2007 at 1:57 am

After 2 mos we finally got approval from MediCal to cast Nate’s right foot and ankle tomorrow.
      They make the AFO’s right there so we should be able to get the brace in about 10 days.
      It has been a long, frustrating wait to get it but we are all very anxious to get it.
      His Ortho doc will be evaluating his left foot tuesday. His PT person says he has foot drop in that one. I wish that was the only thing his right ankle had.
      It is going to take a strong person to hold his foot straight while the cast is setting tomorrow. His PT person has been working hard to stretch the tendons but it still curls under and toes in anytime he doesn’t have shoes on.
      If only the hospital he was in had addressed the problem early on. He wouldn’t have gotten worse after he started walking.
      His Ortho says its just typical convalescent hosp mentality. Feed them, clean them and medicate them, and nothing else.

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2007 at 10:57 am

I am so glad that Nate is finally getting his AFOs, or one for sure. I have been wearing them all of the time now since Nov of 2002, even though I didn’t begin walking until July of 2004. I quit walking on April 27, 2002 & was in the hospital for 3 months after that. They made me wear these awful metal type braces to try to keep my wrists up, but never addressed that my feet wear very quickly developing foot drop. Sometimes I wonder how my feet would be today if they had made me wear some kind of splint or brace on my foot when I first became ill…

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2007 at 11:05 am

Trudy,

I am glad to hear they are finally getting Nate his afo’s. Best of luck with that and send Nate my best.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2007 at 12:55 pm

Glad to hear the good news. Wishing you all the best and take care.

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2007 at 3:54 pm

We just got back from having him casted. I was surprised at how quickly the fibreglass type dries. The guy Bert put on around Nate’s foot, then up his leg, then one from his calf just below the knee down to complete his foot wrap. He held Nate’s foot straight as he could while the stuff dried. It hurt.
      It was dry in about 2 to 3 minutes though, and Bert cut it off.
      He laughed at how big Nate’s feet and ankles are.
      Nate wears 15’s and 16’s. Big feet run on both sides here.
      We should have the AFO in about 10 days as Bert will be gone a few days to a seminar.
      I’m so glad its finally in the works now and Nate can start wearing it.
      His Pt person says it will really help him.
      Bert says he will have to wear it all day though as long as his foot is down. That will be hard to get used to but if he wants that foot straightened, he will have to do it.

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2007 at 2:01 am

I have been worried all this time that Nate would injure his ankle before he got his AFO. I was hoping it would not happen, but Murphy’s Law found us again.
      Today Nate stood up to go from his wheelchair to the recliner and his ankle rolled way too far. It hurt really bad and started swelling right away.
      His ankle as well as the long bone on the side of his foot are very painful.
      I put ice packs on it taped inside an ace bandage and I have been doing that all day with time in between to let it warm up.
      He has PT in the morning but I doubt he will want to walk any.
      He also has an appointment with his Orthopedic doc in the afternoon.
      I will have him check it out if it doesn’t look and feel a lot better.
      His AFO can’t come fast enough.

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2007 at 11:09 am

Sorry to hear that Trudy, that figures doesn’t it. Hopefully the AFO’s arrive early. Take care.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Oh Trudy, I am so sorry! Please give Nate a hug for me and you, too 🙂

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2007 at 9:14 pm

I iced it all day yesterday in hopes that it would be better today. It is.
      Its still sore and a little swollen but he walked a little on it at PT. His Pt person wrapped it very tightly.
      His Ortho doc says its sprained though.
      His doc also had some x rays done of Nate’s hips as well as his left knee while bent. That was tricky though.
      Nate can’t stand for very long unless he’s holding onto something stable.
      He held onto the board that was mounted on the wall but couldn’t for long.
      They got a quick x ray though.
      His doc says Nate has a congenital hip problem we were not aware of.
      His hips are not aligned very well and he will most likely get arthritis in them later in life. Great. More problems that he doesn’t need.
      His doc says he doesn’t want an AFO for the left ankle yet. He wants to see how nate does with the right one when he gets it, then proceed from there.
      I’m glad Nate is doing ok for now. Hopefully he won’t re injure that ankle before he gets his AFO.
      Trudy, natesmom