Add Suggestions: How Can We Help Each Other More

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2007 at 7:41 pm

Hello family,
      We have a few members who are going through or gone through trauma’s or loss of a loved one. How can we help each other more? How many times have you said I wish I lived close to you. How can we close that gap?

One suggestion, add a thread for our “hot line” support phone numbers so you can find one of us to call.

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2007 at 11:03 pm

I think that is a great idea and would be willing to add my number as I am home all day alone and usually do not go anywhere most of the time. I know that when I have been having a couple of bad days that I recieved a call from Dawn and it brought up my spirits. I also know that when I volunteered
      at a crisis center mostly what people need at these times is just to talk/vent to have someone to listen. At least that way there is a voice versus typing on a computer. Not that this site isn’t wonderful but sometimes you just want to talk. Great idea!
      Sincerely Jody

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2007 at 11:27 pm

I think this is a great idea, I would be willing to add my phone number, I have already given it out numerous times in the past 5 years. I have also talked to many of our members via phone & feel that so much more can be accomplised rather than by email. Sometimes one might just be lonely & need to hear a voice; but I do understand & respect that some might not like to talk on the telephone. At my worst I really did not have enough strength & energy to talk much. If it could be kept rather private it is a great idea…
      Pam

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2007 at 3:55 pm

I would be happy to help as well and would make my phone # available. Jeff

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2007 at 6:23 pm

I Think Of Things After The Fact, If We Start A Thread With Our Phone Numbers On It For A Support “hot Line”, Would That Put Us At Too Much Of A Risk? We Do Get Perverts And Other Undesirable People On Our Forum.

Would It Be Better If A Hot Line Thread Was Started And You Just Put Your Name On It. Then We’d Know Who We Could Click On To Pm Or Email For A Number. The Downside To That Is That You Can’t Talk To The Person Until They Pm/email Back.

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2007 at 7:32 pm

since ya’ll are offering to help-
      I know that my mom is in need of speaking with someone who has gone through this with a loved one. She is the one who is taking care of my dad when he’s in the hospital/rehab, etc. She is the one who is now trying to take care of the bills, file for medicaid, speak to my dad’s clients, open mail, etc and she is drowning. All the while, my dad needs someone there with him at all times so that he can communicate with a spell chart. Obviously, the nurses cannot do this for him. And I am in North Carolina (although I was just there) and my sister is close but has to work and take care of her two year old. We are doing the best we can and really need some help…
      So, if anyone is in the NYC area- would you be willing to contact her?
      Thanks

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2007 at 7:50 pm

Dear Friends,

I truly dont feel its a good idea to put our phone numbers on the forum, especially all in one thread for all to see. Many on the forum are in constant contact via telephone on a daily basis. Remember as one of the threads mentioned, whatever you put on the internet, shows up and is ‘out there’, and while we all like to think we are of one mind and a big family, unfortunately this is not true and there are very strange people out there as some have come to find out. Maybe it is a good idea to put your names down in a thread and then pm each other – I know its the long way of doing it, but to save one or two people the agrivation/stress of unwanted calls, its totally worth it.

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2007 at 11:39 pm

I am with you, Alison. 🙂
      Take care,

P

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2007 at 8:56 am

[I][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Ali: Here’s something to try if you have a google search on your computer, Type your phone no. in the search box. I have windows live search, I put one of my friends no. in it this morning. Guess what I got back, his name, address & even a map of where he lives. That is not very funny I can’t remember but there is a way, you can put an opt out on this. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2007 at 2:56 pm

I was caught up in a moment when I made this post and like I said I think things through after the fact. I agree with Ali, we should not start a thread and post our phone numbers, toooooo dangerous, tooooooooo dangerous.

I WILL NOT START A THREAD FOR A SUPPORT HOTLINE.

Are there any safe public chatrooms we can all go to and use?

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2007 at 11:42 pm

What is wrong with our old system of emailing one another or using PM to start off with? Then a person can choose to give out their phone number in private, & either one or the other can say if they would prefer to stick to just email. Some do not want to talk on the telephone, I know my husband hates it, I do not. It has worked well for me in the past; I have come to know many members quite well using either email or by chatting…

BTW if one goes to Questdex.com & they know a person’s name & city, one can get their phone number (if they are listed in any phonebook.) I use this quite often for my out-of-town friends. Cheaper than calling information! Also, if you know the phone number, you can easily get their name & address. If you don’t like this, then you would have to have a private unlisted number. I guess I am not that paranoid yet. But then, I live in the middle of nowhere, on a street most people around here don’t even know about, in a suburb of a town of 7,000!
      Pam

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2007 at 11:57 pm

Maybe we could have a thread for people who want extra time or phone calls. They could go that thread and leave a message and whoever wished could respond there or by pm. People would not have to start their own threads each time they needed help. Jeff