Abnormal shivering response to cool weather

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2007 at 7:52 pm

Hi there,
      I had a bout of shivering last night – something that I haven’t had for ages.
      I went outside for a couple of minutes – it was quite cool, but not freezing – and by the time I got back into the house I was shivering uncontrollably. Even my teeth were chattering. I had a warm shower (showers are always interesting for me, as the temp’ of the water varies between not feeling the temp’ – only feeling the pressure of the water on my skin – to some spots on my skin registering the temp’ as warm/cold). Anyway, that helped a bit but the shivering still lasted for half an hour – even when my skin felt warm! I also had trouble walking – my spacticity came back until the shivering subsided. I didn’t feel unwell with a virus. The shivering was way out of context with the external temperature.
      Has anyone else had this problem? By the way, I hardly sweat.
      I also have trouble with delayed stomach emptying time and the other usual CIDP stuff.
      As always, any advice is always appreciated.
      Thank you
      Kazza – CIDP

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2007 at 3:21 am

Hi, Kazza.

I can sympathise with the shivers. The air temperature can be warm and I’ll suddenly start shivering (not a tremor, but an actual all-over shivering) to the point that I can’t hold things and, like you, my teeth chatter and I can’t speak. I haven’t found any correlation between the times that it happens, it just does, and tends to last anywhere between five minutes to a half hour. Nothing–not even the warmest clothes–will stop it.

I’ve known a few people (myself included) who when taking steroids stayed cold all the time, but that was constant and this is occasional.

When I mention it to my neuro, she just shrugs.

Keep fighting,

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2007 at 5:18 am

Hi Deb,
      Thanks for your reply. Your attack of the ‘shivers’ sounds similar to mine.
      I had a few bouts of these preceeding my first attack a few years ago, but then they went. I ache and feel stiff all over after the shivering has subsided.
      Thanks again,
      Kazza