Abdominal muscles affected?

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2007 at 8:06 am

I am having intense contractions of my abdominal muscles. Makes it difficult to eat and/or drink much. Dr. has prescribed a muscle relaxer, which helps somewhat but also relaxes muscles that do not need relaxing, making my legs and arms weaker. I had laprascopic gall bladder surgery 3 weeks ago and had some of this going on before the surgery. Thought the surgery would fix it. Wondering if anyone else here with GBS/CIDP has this kind of residual or symptom? It is worrying to me and I really want to feel better before Christmas.

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2007 at 8:29 am

I have similar issues with my abdomin also. I had a total hyst 11 months before my paralysis started, and it is still totally numb and feels really weird. I can stand or walk and feel the muscles on the inside jumping and spazming like crazy. As a matter of fact last night I even mentioned it to my hubby, and as I stood next to him it went bizerk, like there was an alien punching from the inside out.:eek: I’m just hoping it is the nerves refiring after the last 3plus yrs.
      As long as a major nerve wasn’t damaged during your lap, you should recover in a few months. 3 weeks really isn’t that long to be totally recovered if you think about it. I know my body takes what seems to be 3 times longer to heal or get over things as compared to others. Be patient, and also be aware of any problems that come up. Take care.

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2007 at 3:48 pm

I am almost nine weeks frm first symtoms. I have what feels like an inertube around my chest . When I go to bed and move about my ab muscles contract or I should say buzz. At first it was just a numbness , now its a buzz. I can feel a six pack forming from all the contracting.I dont know what is normal.
      Ron

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2007 at 9:31 pm

I have occasional spasms in the left abdominal quadrant. In addition my entire abdominals are tight and I feel a significant pulling/stretching sensation when I extend my trunk. It is a strange sensation and weird. I am guessing it obviously has to do with the changes that occurred in the nerves that innervate the abdominals. I am over a year from my onset.

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2007 at 2:40 am

The short answer is Yes! I don’t want to discourage you, but I am 13 yrs. post GBS and I still get horrible spasms under my right rib cage. They were there before my gallbladder came out. Sometimes, I can’t breathe for the pain but if I can get my arm above my head, and then take some deep breaths it will work itself out. The disconcerting thing is that I’m starting to also feel it in my back when it happens ~ but maybe that just means the nerves are starting to heal more, so I feel more. It’s a thought ๐Ÿ˜€ You know, try to see the positive side . .
      Just remember, your body’s communication system has been “hurt” and any thing can happen including unusual or just plain strange residuals! Click on the search menu and type in residuals. Just a couple of months back we had a very long thread that everyone contributed to. Wow, it’s an amazing read!!

Don’t panic and good luck on feeling better by Christmas (you didn’t mention what year ~ ha ๐Ÿ˜€ )

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2007 at 3:07 am

I have CIDP and also have abdominal muscle spasms, in fact, they got me up a few minutes ago. It hurts to eat, drink etc. and they’ve been in spasms for months now. ๐Ÿ™

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2007 at 7:18 am

Thank you to EVERYONE who replied! I remember having tight chest and abdominal muscles last year for the first month or two after my onset, but then everything relaxed and I thought that was it. I am having my stomach scoped on Friday to see if they can see a gastrointestinal cause for the spasms. If not, I have an appointment with the neuro in late December. I guess I’ll ask him about it then. It helps to know that others have similar issues even though I wish that none of us did. Thank you, Thank you!!

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2008 at 6:19 am

Iowagal wrote [QUOTE]I had laprascopic gall bladder surgery 3 weeks ago and had some of this going on before the surgery.[/QUOTE]

I had such surgery in mid-February 1993 and then a calcaneal spur in my left heel treated in late May.

It was from late June 1993 that I became aware of something wrong in my feet like sprains but with unusual feelings. It’s in ‘My PDN Story’ on my site listed below.

Have often wondered whether a stray antigen got to my peripheral nerve chain during one of those ops. In development time terms probably in the February surgery?

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2008 at 4:23 pm

I am finding there always seem to more questions than answers. My abdominal muscles are behaving much better lately although I still have a lot of bloating. I am sure the surgery did set off some muscle spasms and weakness as well as general weakness for several months after. In December, the neuro said to give it a couple of months to see if it would all settle down again and I think it is. I have a lot more energy now than I did from September through January. I am thinking I will probably have issues like this on and off for the rest of my life because of the gbs.