a pray request for Nick & Christy

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2007 at 11:21 am

I have a prayer request for a friend who is in the hospital with GBS. His name is Nick.

He’s been there for 3 weeks now with a long way still to go. He’s on a vent and only has some movement in a few fingers and in his face and shoulders. He was given IVIG with little result, even some backsliding. They are starting plasma pherisis on him today.

His wife Christy is strong but is in need of prayers too.

Please keep them in your prayers or at least say one prayer for them. If you have any prayer circles where you can add their names I would be very grateful if you did so. Thank you very much. Namaste.

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2007 at 6:39 pm

[SIZE=”4″]Be assured that Nick & Christy will be in my prayers each day. [/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2007 at 6:49 pm

[B]I will keep Nick and Christy in my prayers and send good thoughts their way[/B]

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2007 at 10:36 pm

I was never that bad, but I know of others who have been. They are doing better, but it takes inordinate amounts of time.
      I wish that things other than time were available. The body has been ‘assulted’ and has to heal first and then some sort of ‘normal’ can occur.

Nick, you will make it IF you wish to, and I don’t know about you, but really the alternative options should not be acceptable.

Christy, don’t be afraid to ask for help- in the home nursing, day/nite care, pt. transport or even the opportunity to take some minutes out of each day to take care of yourself. You can’t be Superwoman with this kind of stuff.

Learn more about what you have to deal with, it can take time to learn and a lot of it all is medical, but folks here can put lots of what you need to know into simple terms that can help you learn both ‘med-speak’ and then [sigh] ‘insurance-speak’. No one here I am betting ever expected THIS to happen to THEM? It’s a kind of bad luck of the draw thing- in some cases, winning a lottery has better odds…strange that.

Please keep us up to date on what is happening. Keep faith and hope..it’s often all we have to keep us going. But we do go on.

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2007 at 3:25 am

Hi. I’ll be praying for them as well.

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2007 at 7:59 am

Nick and Christy have a place in my daily prayers as well. Tell them to Look for the good in each day and before you know it time passes much more pleasantly. I know when things seem the darkest that is when those “little glimmers of hope and accomplishments” will shine even brighter if you take time to look for them. I was not on a vent but still paralyzed from the waist down and my hands and arms were so weak I couldn’t push a nurse button. Each night at bedtime I would take time to reflect on what “went well” that day and it gave me inspiratioin for the next day to try to do better. Sometimes it worked and sometimes I had to dig deep to find a positive for the day. I guess its a count your blessings but as those of us who have been there it is a very difficult thing if you don’t set aside time to do it. The hardships are easier to think about and dwell on.

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2007 at 8:19 am

I have added Nick and Christy to my prayers. through prayer we all pray as one. May Gods healing powers be with them (Steve)

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2007 at 2:28 pm

You guys I haven’t been back to this post since the day I wrote it. I have tears rolling down my cheeks as I’ve read you responses. I will make sure Christy and Nick get a copy of this.

I want to give you an udate. But first, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kindness and generosity. You are truly beautiful people. Thank you so much.

I have had phone contact with Christy over the last few weeks and I hope to hear from her today. I have tried to visit Nick but to no avail. Both times the ICU nurse was opposed, Nick was too agitated, the timing was bad. I dropped off literature for Christy and wished Nick well as I left.

What I know today is that he’s out of ICU and on a regular floor. He’s had the vent out for almost 2 weeks now and at this time he may even have the trach tube out and be back to fully breathing on his own. Last report I got before today’s was that he was highly agitated. Although being agitated and upset is not a good state to be in it showed that he was fighting and not giving up so I could only see this as good news.

I know there are many stories like Nick’s, too many. So it means a lot to me that each of you took the time to post your well wishes for Nick’s recovery and for Christy’s strength as the caregiver. You guys have touched my heart–I just can’t express enough how much I appreciate your thoughts and generosity. I wish you all well. Thank you.

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2007 at 2:34 pm

Thanks for the update. I will continue to keep Nick & Christy in my prayer thoughts. And thank you, Kathleen, for being such a good friend to them 🙂 Hugs to everyone.

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2007 at 3:17 pm

I will be praying also .. God does answer prayer.

Paul

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2007 at 8:59 am

Three times is a charm. I finally got to see Nick last night. I stopped by the hospital after work to see him. I found that they moved him back to ICU, I don’t know why yet. When I got there another of his friends was there and he told me that today was Nick’s first day breathing completely on his own! He still has the trach tube in but he’s solo on the breathing and that’s great.

When he woke he seemed alert and happy to have visitors. He mouthed words but has little more than a whispy sound coming out still. I so desperately wanted to hear/know what he was trying to tell us. I caught little pieces of it. What I did discern was that he knows he’s going to walk away from this (in a good way), that he’s aware his strength is returning (if slowly, right now it’s a hand grip but that’s just the beginning), and that I can come back to visit him again later. That was about all he wanted and he asked us to leave.

He has a light in his eyes and he smiled big when he first saw me. That made my heart leap–it’s a such a good sign. I’m praying steadily for both Christi and Nick. I haven’t heard from Christi yet but I know she’s very busy and am hopeful that she’ll call when she has a chance.

Thanks again for your prayers and thoughts. I brought them a hard copy of this thread so they could see your posts. Also, I told Nick that many people, people he didn’t even know, were praying for him. He smiled.

• Anonymous
      December 14, 2007 at 10:31 am

An update on Nick — he was released from the hospital and is home now. I don’t have much more info that this as I haven’t spoken directly with Nick or Christi yet. Thank you everyone for your prayers and thoughts.