A few more ?’s

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2007 at 11:29 pm

This seems to be the happening forum these days!

I was wondering is anyone taking anything (vitamins, minerals) to help with their GBS??? I know some people have suggested it to me and haven’t asked my neurologist yet.

Another question….
      I’ve been doing great for almost a month (able to drive, gardening, etc) no real signs of the GBS…until last friday suddenly @ my grandmother’s funeral. Now from my hips down I have a funky “Frankenstein” walk and floppy feet. I also was unable to lift my feet for a couple of days….and the aches and pains…ugh!

So, would a chiropractic adjustment help with this??? I know, I should talk to my neurologist first….just wondering if anyone has had luck with that. My husband really wants me to go…actually he just wants the “normal” me back.

Thanks!

Becca

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2007 at 11:56 pm

[B]Becca> [/B] I was told if you eat correctly and healthy foods you should not have to take vitamins. That has been basically what I have done. I have gone to the goverments site and got the latest suggestions. [url]http://www.mypyramid.gov[/url] Taking things that others claim boost the immune system should be avoided…it is your immune system that went out of control and attacked your own body. Let that get back to balanced again! Over doing it can cause you to take a few steps backwards in your healing too. You have to learn to pace yourself and avoid stressful situtations if possible. They will drain you both mentally and physically. I am sorry to hear that your grandmother has died. Going thru that can be enough to turn a GBS/CIDP persons life upside down with a relapse. A busy day or weekend can do a number too. As you live with GBS/CIDP you learn what your body can handle. Will a chiropractic adjustment help with this? Probably rest would do a better job after adding driving and gardening to your work load just in the last month. Listen to your body and rest. A visit to the chiropractor might help the rest of the body alignment from walking funny. Bad posture or weak muscles and tendons need to stretch and get stronger so they can help with your posture and hold those adjustments. Listen to your body. Sounds like it is the GBS/CIDP to me! Seeing your neurologist is really a good idea if you can not thing of something you did go set yourself back. They can tell if your meds are working for the pain and if you need some rehab too. Remember that with this illness you will get better slowly. Years not days. Keep up the good work and take care of yourself.

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 6:53 am

becca,

emotional stress, as well as physical & mental stress, can cause your residuals to act up. your g’ma died causing stress. big time rest is needed. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Hi Becca,

I hate to be a naysayer, but your husband wanting the old Becca back at this time might not happen. A chiropractor is not going to help your GBS.This is a neurological illness.I worked for a chiro and sometimes they do more harm then good, especially when dealing with a neurological illness, they are not equipped to take care of a GBS/CIDP patient. All they want to do is realign your bones and that isn’t going to make your GBS any better. Rest is what your body needs. Vitamins are great but will not cure GBS, there is no cure. Most people with GBS never are normal again. This is not a cold that will go away in a few weeks, this is a long lasting illness with residuals like not being able to walk normal.

I think you need to take so time for your body to really heal and that could take years.

So please listen to the advice from the people here, they are living it everyday of their lives and are more knowledgable then the doctors.

Take care of yourself.:)

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 1:44 pm

Hi Becca,

As Gene said, emotional and physical stress can tire the body very easily. This has not changed for me over the years. When I get real tired, my walk is the same Frankenstien walk you describe.

I have had some good fortune lately with vitamins. My neuro told me I was low on vitamin b12 and have been taking vitamins/supplements for a little over a month now with really good results. On my follow-up visit with my neuro, I showed him what I was taking and he said it was fine. I know they say if we eat the proper foods, but so many foods are so processed there isn’t much nutritional value left in them. Good luck on finding the right balance for you!

I agree with Brandy that a chiro will not help anything with us. They may have good intentions, but I wouldn’t go there.

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Thanks guys!
      I took a turn for the worse last night. I was unable to walk. Today there has been no improvement so I called my dr. I’m going in this afternoon. Possibly relapsing??? Or CDIP??? We’ll see……Might have another EMG and IVIG treatment…here we go again!

Personally, I am strongly against CHiropractors (I think they do more harm than good), but my husband swears by his…

Thanks for your support!

Becca

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 4:26 pm

Your husband does not have the neurological disease that you do!!

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 5:22 pm

Becca, Please get plenty of rest. take care.