9 months and counting. An update

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2010 at 11:17 am

It is now a full 9 months from being diagnosed with GBS. I continue to work full time with a morning and afternoon rest break. I am on my feet at least 5 hours per day and doing two flights of steps about 5 times per day. I come home from work and nap about an hour and I am basically done for the day. This month’s baby step was a driving trip from Wisconsin to Virginia (850 miles or so each way), I was able to drive about 2 ½ hours in the morning and a hour or so in the afternoon. When fatigue set in while driving it was “stop now or else.” I was excited about being capable of making the trip and seeing my granddaughter was a real treat.
      My physical condition remains about the same for the past several months. I still have partial numbness of my feet and hands and returning numbness in back, arms and legs when tired. My wife says that the Frankenstein walk returns when I am doing too much. All in all I am happy with my progress, of course I wish for more and will gladly accept it when further recovery occurs.
      I did have a medical scare this month, turns out that my doctor thinks I had a common virus but it was treated by my doctors and the hospital as a cardiac event. A day in the emergency room with chest x-ray, and ekg and then a stress test (they used drugs for stress instead of exercise) proved that my 61 year old heart is healthy and that the spirit of GBS rearing its ugly head was the cause for the episode. This lasted about 5 days but then all was well again.
      I will continue to post my progress and hope that we all see improvements and that our baby steps will lead to giant bounds.

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2010 at 5:56 pm

A Big “Woo Hoo” for you!