6 months post-GBS

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2006 at 11:17 pm

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with GBS and CIDP. It was so helpful knowing that there were other people who had gone through this disease and managed to go back to normal lives.

I just want to share a little success story with you all, since hearing success stories from other people is what got me through the bad days. I was diagnosed with GBS in May after a fairly rapid progression left me partially paralyzed and barely able to walk or lift my hands above my head. One round of IVIG was not enough, and I had to go back for a second round two weeks later. I was really disheartened since I was due to start medical school in the fall and was afraid that I wouldn’t have the strength or endurance.

My classes started in mid-july, and although I was still weak and walking with a limp, I decided not to defer, and went ahead and started school. It was not easy, and there were nights that my residuals acted up so much I was sure I was having a GBS recurrence. I would come home from school exhausted and unsure of how I would find the strength to study. However, I persisted and things have been going pretty well – I finished my semester with almost all A’s, made some good friends and connections with students and faculty, and really enjoyed being a student. I still get residual symptoms, especially when I am tired (stiff ankles, feet and hands) but I am doing okay. I got my medical school diagnostic kit over chrismas and tested my reflexes, and actually managed to find one in my right leg for the first time since I got sick!!

One never knows what the future will bring, and although I hope this GBS nightmare is behind me forever, I know it is always possible I could get a recurrence. However, I have decided to live my life as normally as possible and try not to let my fear of this disease dictate how I live. If nothing else, this disease has taught me how precious life is and how lucky I have been!

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2006 at 11:24 pm

welcome keitaikatie to this family. Thank you for the success story you have shared.

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2006 at 12:08 am

Katie,

Welcome to the family and congrats on starting medical school. Best of luck to you, I hope you keep us posted on how you are doing. Take care and happy new year.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2006 at 12:56 pm

Congratulations Katie. Wishing you all the best in your studies and career!

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2007 at 12:08 am

Congratulations Katie. Keep GBS in mind as you venture in to the medical field. We can always use another doctor that is familiar with this animal. 😀

Welcome to our family.

sherry

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2007 at 9:59 pm

Katie,

How wonderful that you were able to go ahead with your studies at med school, in spite of the GBS residuals. Congradulations also on your good grades!

Your case of GBS sounds very similar to my own. I had leg weakness, couldn’t list my arms above waist high, and walked with a limp for a few months. Fortunately, I have also had a good recovery.

Please be careful to rest whenever you can. While your youth and determination will take you a long way, you need to mind your health too.

Dont mean to nag you, but I can’t help but worry for you a little bit. I’m a mom with a young daughter. I hope you won’t mind a little motherly concern.;)

We’re all cheering for you. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      January 7, 2007 at 10:18 am

Thanks Suzanne,

It’s true that resting up and not pushing myself too hard is a good idea! I try never to overdo it physically, and I have not pulled an all-nighter since I started school (although sometimes I do a full day on only 4-5 hours of sleep, which I know is not good, and my stiff feet and hands let me know this).

Thanks for the motherly concern – it’s nice to know that people out there got my back 🙂