4th of July

• Anonymous
      July 4, 2006 at 2:56 am

Happy Independence Day to all my American friends on both sides of the Pond!

An American brain teaser: what do 1915, 1967 and 2006 have in common (besides being four digit numbers)?

Deb

• Anonymous
      July 4, 2006 at 5:23 am

[img]http://bestsmileys.com/fireworks/3.gif[/img][img]http://bestsmileys.com/fireworks/7.gif[/img]
      [img]http://bestsmileys.com/fireworks/2.gif[/img]
      [B][COLOR=”Blue”]Wishing all of you a Happy 4th of July![/COLOR][/B]

• Anonymous
      July 4, 2006 at 12:47 pm

Debi, I have nooooo idea:confused:

This is a very cool thing to watch – it starts out slow, but worth it!

(Link deleted by administration)

• Anonymous
      July 4, 2006 at 8:37 pm

Deb,

absolutely no idea …… something about 4th of July? or is that just tooo obvious?

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2006 at 2:54 am

We didn’t eat hotdogs and watch fireworks yesterday (since the sun doesn’t go down until nearly 10.00pm in south England this time of year, setting off our own fireworks isn’t feasible), but we had Kentucky Fried Chicken (tastes pretty much the same on this side of the Pond, but you can’t get mashed potatoes and gravy) and apple pie. Of course, we watched football–the World Cup match between Germany and Italy. When you’re Americans living outside the US, you make your own traditions.

And the trivia question: it’s US population:

1915: 100 million
      1967: 200 million
      2006: 300 million (supposed to be born in September)

An English friend, who loves all things American and who knows more trivia about US history than I ever imagined existed, mentioned this to me.

Deb

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Wow at that rate we will hit 400 million in 2019.

[quote=eightplusfive]We didn’t eat hotdogs and watch fireworks yesterday (since the sun doesn’t go down until nearly 10.00pm in south England this time of year, setting off our own fireworks isn’t feasible), but we had Kentucky Fried Chicken (tastes pretty much the same on this side of the Pond, but you can’t get mashed potatoes and gravy) and apple pie. Of course, we watched football–the World Cup match between Germany and Italy. When you’re Americans living outside the US, you make your own traditions.

And the trivia question: it’s US population:

1915: 100 million
      1967: 200 million
      2006: 300 million (supposed to be born in September)

An English friend, who loves all things American and who knows more trivia about US history than I ever imagined existed, mentioned this to me.

Deb[/quote]

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2006 at 11:29 pm

Hi Deb,

The Brits on our side of the pond complained about having to work…one of my friends says he wanted to celebrate giving up America.

We’re sending you an emergency packet of Kentucky fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Watched Italy vs. Germany game today. The men are very attractive, although I always cheer for the British.

Love,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2006 at 2:11 am

Deb (that is my wife’s name, also),

Ok, I am curious………….why you can’t get mashed “tators and gravy” over there?????

And,……. nice gesture/offer to send her that missing ingredient, Marge.

Perry

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2006 at 7:38 am

Good question, Perry.

Deb, why doesn’t Kentucky Fried offer mash and gravy?

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 2:50 am

Hi, Gang.

I’ve no idea why KFC here doesn’t serve mashed potatoes and gravy. Few restaurants serve mash, unless it’s with bangers (sausages). You can’t get those lovely, greasy biscuits here either (of course here, if you ask for a biscuit, you’ll get a flat, sweet cookie).

Recently KFC started serving corn on the cob, so maybe things are looking up. When it comes to food, the Brits have a lot to learn from the Americans. And from the Italians. And from the French. And from the Belgians. And from the Australians. And from the Canadians. And from…

Deb

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 9:40 am

Hi,

Why doesn’t KFC serve mashed potatoes and gravy? Very simple answer. When in Rome, do as the Roman’s do. Deb said it above, very few do that over there. The object is to appeal to a culture first, then introduce new stuff slowly if they choose to do so.

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 4:06 pm

I should know better, Deb. Used to fly to Wimbledon, which is fairly sophisticated, and Maidenhead, which is not. We celebrated someone’s anniversary at the company with an Italian lunch in Wimbledon–food was fantastic.

I made Shepherd’s Pie for the British boyfriend once, watched him taste it, listened to him whine, and disposed of it–it only took 5 minutes. The English breakfast…forget it. There was no way I was cooking bacon, sausage, eggs, fried bread, tomatoes, mushrooms, coffee, etc., etc., etc. for him.

Chico, as soon as I find out how to do it, we’re downgrading you to Zeppo.

Cheers,
      Margaret Dumont

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 6:38 pm

deb, maybe its healthier for brits it kfc doesn’t serve mashed potatoes with gravy, knowing what they actually use to cook their food in here is making me ill! be happy for what you get there in uk!:)