3 siblings, 1 MND, 1 Scleroderma, 1 CIDP, strange?

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2006 at 10:20 am

I have already posted this on the CIDP forum but it is of broader interest.

On a topic a few days ago I reported visiting a new CIDP case, a lady whose home is only half a mile from us.
      Today I have found out that a brother died aged 60 suffering from motor neurone disease, a younger sister has scleroderma, now EM has CIDP. There is an older sister with no such disorder but she had a different father. EM recalls from her young childhood days that her mother, long dead, became paralyzed from waist down – reasons unknown.
      EM is presently waist down paralyzed. Now having steroids treatment to back up her 5 day IVIG course.

Anyone know of similar apparently genetic tendency to auto-immune disorders?:rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2006 at 12:40 pm

ken,

i am of italian decent. the story passed down to us was that many generations ago, when we lived in italy, word was passed not to marry into our family cuz we had ‘nerve’ disease. a 1st cousin of mine [died of als] & a nephew had/has an auto immune disorder. genetic predispositon is alive & well. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2006 at 7:07 pm

I was just discussing this same thing with my family..
      I have an uncle who dies of ALS. An aunt with MS and my mother has GBS. This is all on my mothers side..
      Scary stuff:eek:

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 1:32 pm

very interesting.. My Mother has Sclerodermia…

Simon.

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 4:01 pm

This was posted on the UK site by Mike Goulding who has been a regular CIDP poster there. That diagnosis now changed. He wrote:[QUOTE]Hi Kens,
      I read your post with interest as I have a fairly similar situation– not siblings but all grandchildren of the same grandparents.We are three first cousins, two living in Ireland and myself currently living in Leicester. The eldest is in his mid-seventies and has Parkinsons Disease, the youngest in her mid-fifties has been diagnosed with ALS or MND. I am 61 and was diagnosed with CIDP with traces of MS. That diagnosis was changed at Easter, after referral to one of the leading experts in CIDP to MS with Axonal Neuropathy. As I have moved to a different part of the country I am to see a completely new Neurologist in a couple of days from now and will be very interested in what he has to say. [/QUOTE]
      Very interesting addition.

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 7:36 pm

Interesting. I have a huge family, w/ no neurological history. However, there’s a picture of my great grandmother and she is in a wheelchair. No one knows what was wrong w/her that I know of.

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2006 at 10:54 am

i noticed parkinson’s was mentioned in a previous reply…

my father was diagnosed with parkinson’s at age 41. i got GBS at 30 (although i am fully recovered after 4 months). is parkinson’s thought to be related to this hereditary susceptibility?

thanx, lisa

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2006 at 2:23 pm

This link will probably get removed but here it is anyway, here in the US we have a group called the Multiple Autoimmune Disease Genetics Consortium (Link deleted by Administration)
      . I am a part of a large study they are doing to see the relationship of Autoimmune Diseases running in families. Give their site a look, google the group name if it gets removed, their site has loads of information.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2006 at 5:18 pm

Here is the link to the newsletter with the findings from the MAGDC study that I was a participant in.

(Link deleted by Administration)

the findings are published here:

Hopefully these wont get removed seeing how important the information is to each of us.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 28, 2006 at 5:30 am

You are getting GBS Discussion Boards paranoid, Jer 😉 :p

Your bud,
      Per

• Anonymous
      July 28, 2006 at 8:43 am

Yeah I am thinking I need to get my meds upped :p

3 siblings, 1 MND, 1 Scleroderma, 1 CIDP, strange?

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2006 at 10:16 am

On a topic a few days ago I reported visiting a new CIDP case, a lady whose home is only half a mile from us.
      Today I have found out that a brother died aged 60 suffering from motor neurone disease, a younger sister has scleroderma, now EM has CIDP. There is an older sister with no such disorder but she had a different father. EM recalls from her young childhood days that her mother, long dead, became paralyzed from waist down – reasons unknown.
      EM is presently waist down paralyzed. Now having steroids treatment to back up her 5 day IVIG course.

Anyone know of similar apparently genetic tendency to auto-immune disorders?:confused:

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2006 at 3:32 pm

[quote=kenspdn]Anyone know of similar apparently genetic tendency to auto-immune disorders?:confused:[/quote]

Apparently there is a suspected predisposition of this type, and some research is going on. Take a look at:

(link deleted by administration)

In my own case, my father had ulcerative colitis but I don’t know of any other auto-immune conditions in our family besides my CIDP.

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2006 at 5:59 pm

* My father died, likely (no dx) with ALS. Had all the necessary symptoms. Mind still very sharp.
      * My mother died of a brain cancer, ( and 2 sisters not dead yet) but that’s from a different gene defect: MEN 2a.
      * My grandfather had severe Parkinson’s.
      * My nephew died of brain cancer.
      * Another nephew has MS
      * My sister has FMS and multiple chemical allergies.
      * My other sister has Post Polio Syndrome (Wheel chair)
      * My daughter had post measles encephalitis
      * My grandson has Asperger’s (Hi functinal Autism)
      * My sons, my grandsons, I, many cousins, have (probably,) mild Tourettes.
      * Many of us (I included) cannot recognize faces until we feel the personality.
      * My aunt had severe Tourettes.
      * I have been dx with FMS, CPS, CIDP GERD, IBS. (And, not related I have severe burn damage in my throat, nose, sinuses, resulted from radiation and chemo for sinus cancer. I greatly miss some of those nice body part that are gone.)

*******WE GET ALONG–It not easy but we manage.

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2006 at 10:14 pm

Autoimmune diseases also run through my family, I have several in addition to CIDP. Here is a site for a group that is doing a major study on autoimmunity and heredity which I am a part of (link deleted by administration)

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2006 at 10:46 pm

Here is the link to their newest newsletter, it also mentions the study I am a part of: (link deleted by administration)

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 2:05 pm

Hello

I have CIDP ….my father died 1982 and he had ALS (motor neuro desease)
      my uncle had Multible sclerosis , he was my father’s brother , also died .