3 1/2 years and Still in bed

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2006 at 8:58 pm

I was struck down nearly overnight with GBS over 3 1/2 years ago and I still cann’t move much, I was completly parilyzed with in 24 hours of my feet felling num, I could move my jawl and one eye, I couldn’t even breath, I wasn’t diagnosed with GBS for three days after it had hit me, then I received ten plasmafereses treatments over the next thirdy days, it took six months before I could move my head and a year before I could breath on my own, now I have limited movment of my arms and my fingers started to move a little, but what I need to know is, does recovery ever stop will I be able to ever walk or use my hands again, is there still hope or am I just kidding myself.

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2006 at 9:57 pm

hi & welcome,

recovery never stops. i am 7+ years post gbs & still improve albeit very slowly now. no one knows how much a gbser will recover, but judging from what you say, i’d say your status is similar to marc [racer 13] than i. he is 7+ years post gbs too & still recovers. never give up. never give in. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2006 at 9:15 am

Welcome ~ never give up, there is always hope! I am 11+ yrs post and ‘still gaining’. I personally am a firm believer in complimentary modalities. I wish you the best as you continue to heal 🙂

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2006 at 7:00 pm

Welcome. Glad you have come here.

You’ll find lots of encouragement, information and support. You’ll also find that many, many of us continue to recover long past the point where our doctors said we would.

Best wishes for your continued recovery.
      Suzanne

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2006 at 11:43 pm

Hi,

I’m surprised you could type this post. It was a long road back when I was paralyzed and much therapy to regain function of my limbs, etc. Are you in any therapy? Did someone type this for you? Keep the faith. I’m still hoping to get over fatigue and tingling feet.

Caroline

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2006 at 8:43 pm

Hi,
      I can move my arms down and sideways but not up so use a trapez and pullys and slings and a counter weight to lift my hands then I use a ball mouse to type with a onscreen keyboard and I don’t get good threrapy but range & motion and Thank You for the hope all of you.

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2006 at 9:04 pm

range & motion [passive pt] is v important. pls keep it up. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2006 at 1:38 pm

“Let us run with patience the race that is set before us” (Hebrews 12:1)

I pray that you use patience, love and understanding in all you do.
      Andy

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2006 at 5:08 pm

Andy, As with all GBSer’s, patience is the lesson we learn and practice frequently. Thank you for your thoughts and I will keep you in mine also!

Bless you and be well!