104 down 261 to go! I’m trying for that goal!

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Gosh! That sounds like I am on the Jenny Craig program! LOL! Nope! I made myself a summer goal and am trying my best to reach it. Each weekend when my husband is off so he can help me tighten lids to my jars and tote the water from the sink to the stove because those canners are heavy stuff I have been canning food.
      I want to see 365 jars of canned food to go into my food pantry after Andy finishes getting it built for me!
      As of today I now have 104 jars and only 261 jars to go!

12 Pints of Bean With Bacon Soup
      17 Pints of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
      1 Jar of Homemade Molasses that I bought from someone I know that makes it~
      15 Half Pints of Salted Boiled Peanuts
      8 Jars of Strawberry Fig Preserves
      8 Quarts of Homemade Chili Beans
      8 Pints of Pickled Figs
      15 Pints of Homemade Sauerkraut
      20 Pints of Kosher Dill Pickles
      A total of 104 Jars! YEAHHHH! YiPPEE! Now only 261 more jars to go! BOO!
      But my goal is from now until September! So I still have plenty of time!
      Ohh do I hope I can achieve my goal! I have canned before many times but never ever got that many jars canned because my illness would get in the way and act up. So this year I am asking God to let me achieve a huge project even if I have to have my husband help me! The grocery stores are just so high on stuff and you really don’t get your money’s worth. Plus it gives us better food without those nasty preservatives. Andy helped me get our garden started but I too helped also with it and this year I am eating fresh veggies and going to can at the same time frame.
      I can’t wait when mid June gets here. My blackberries will be ready to pick and it will be homemade blackberry jelly. When the winter comes I will have all this fresh food canned and can save myself on cooking alot. And just buy meats and dairy foods. Today I did 20 jars of Kosher Dill Pickles. Andy likes them on his sandwiches. Next week I will try for Bread and Butter Pickles! Each weekend I take one day and try to can as many jars as I can. Figured if I start now when the summer gets here my canning won’t be as hard! If I can get another 80 jars by June then I will be getting to a good start and then I can slow down a bit! I’m so excited about getting this food pantry!
      Wishing everyone a Happy Mother’s Day and for the men that aren’t mothers because they are dad’s, I wish them a nice weekend! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm

You go girl!!! You will make it. Are you in the South? You should start selling the jars on the internet, I love home canned things, but don’t have the knack for it. I use to can tomatoes and loved them. Keep us posted.
      Clare in Michigan

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2009 at 3:22 am

Hi Linda,
      Yum! They all sound delicious, especially the strawberry fig preserve ๐Ÿ™‚
      My fig tree hasn’t grown an inch since I planted it about 7 years ago. I had visions of harvesting my crop of figs and making fig jam/jelly – I still haven’t had one fig yet!
      Good luck,
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2009 at 6:33 am

Hi Kazza! You may need to transplant it to a mositure type of soil and place pinestraw around it to retain moisture. Also a better shaded area. Not in direst sunlight but moderate sunlight to shade. Our fig trees have been producing so many figs it’s no joke. Bush works me to death each summer! I live in North Carolina which is fairly a Southern State. Lots of women in my state can and freeze garden veggies! Each week I try to look up something I can plan for the next weekend to make.
      Today though is rest day! No canning for me today. Next week I want to make bread and butter pickles but it depends on the weather too. Might still keep trying for the prepared meals instead. No wanting to sell these here! They are used for gifts and own personal eating!
      I need to look up recipes for zuchini and squash. Looks like all my plants came up and boy do I have a bunch. One year I had zuchini that it was running out of my ears. Was giving it away because there was so many. That is fun when they produce like that but alot of work picking.
      Happy Mother’s Day Family!
      Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2009 at 6:08 am

Thanks for the advice Linda ๐Ÿ™‚
      Unfortunately my fruit trees have been neglected since I came down with CIDP. That combined with a long drought, has really affected them.
      I also have a couple of olive, orange and lemon trees and they are not that happy either. I would love to have a vege garden too – but that seems like too much work for me at the moment ๐Ÿ™
      I do have a herb garden that is doing better though, it consists mainly of rosemary surrounding a topiary bay tree. I can manage to clip the rosemary into a hedge which looks quite nice. It doesn’t seem to need any attention – thank goodness!
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I have a friend that lives in Australia and they were telling me about that terrible drought that you all have had there. Seems like global warming really is taking alot of stuff away that I pray we can some day reverse. I grow a container garden that requires very little maintenance. Even got my water hoses hooked up a certain way to water everything with without wasting alot of water.
      This week because I had to be in Greenvillle to see a new doctor and then see an opthalmologist on Thursday I decided to cheat a bit on my canning. So I took dry things like rice, dried beans and noodles and placed them in quart jars making several meals and preserving them from getting buggy. Rice can stay in a glass jar sealed for years. But if left unsealed it can get buggy!
      So now I have 136 jars of canned food! LOL!
      The more jars I collect the closer I am to saying I got 365 jars! Even if I have to cheat a little bit to make my goal At least I can say I canned that many! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Wow ! That is awesome …. I need to get my garden going ! I have canned a couple of times but nothing like that ๐Ÿ™‚ Kudos to you because I know that is alot of work !
      Can we come to your house for dinner ??? LOL ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2009 at 12:08 pm

This weekend starting tomorrow I plan on Bread and Butter Pickles and then Saturday or Sunday I am going to fix Chicken and Onions. That is a great meal for canning! You take boneless chicken breast and slice it in a food slicer and sautee in Olive Oil. Then you add the Onions and after it’s done your process for 1 hour. You can take the can later on and fix white rice or noodles and pour the mixture on top and it has a Chinese taste to it! I’m going to try for 30 jars this weekend. Bread and Butter Pickles are easy to do. But the Chicken and Onions take more time. Hubby helps me with the lids and lifting the heavy pots. I also want to make a large amount of soups too!
      It is hard work! Very hard work! All day in the kitchen cooking. I have a stool that I sit on that helps keep me off my feet some! Hugs
      Linda H