1 year anniversary and i did it!!!!!!

• Anonymous
      May 25, 2008 at 3:58 am

Today is a year since i was admitted to hospital with suspected GBS, only to find out within a short time we were actually looking at CIDP. Well what a road of ups and downs since then, (actually all downs until paraplegic status in Oct 07 ) but today was a definate ‘wow’ day i must share.
      I used to be a long distance runner and a novice triathlete pre CIDP and today i completed my first duathlon since CIDP chose me. The weather was attrocious, and getting the kids bundled up and out in the rain i nearly pulled out, (my training partner did pull out!) but i knew i had to do it for 2 reasons. 1) what better way to prove to myself i am going to win this battle with CIDP, and 2) If i am physically able to do it, I have to do it. (I know I have become am a bit weaker over last two weeks and as next duathlon is 3 weeks away i may not be able to run it then, so just had to today.)

I also wanted to let you all know that as i was struggling on the last run (spectators could possibly argue at this point that i wasnt running, more likely draggin a sorry looking body along, but lets not get into such specifics!!) I was thinking of you all, and I jogged that last km for all of you who wish you could be out there also. You all gave me inspiration to keep throwing one leg infront of the other till the end. (Feet and knees still have a tendency to do what they want at very inconvenient times so i was desperately telling them not to slip on the fallen leaves or uneven surfaces etc)
      I know some of you currently are not happy with the speed of your recovery – i never was either, but one day and one task at a time I got this far and hope you all will too.

I dont consider myself a success story as yet, (am still very dependant on lots of very regular treatment) but just wanted to share this great day with you all.

all the best with your continued battles
      kia kaha (stay strong)
      kiwi

• Anonymous
      May 25, 2008 at 8:56 am

Great for you. Your on-line family is very proud of you and thanks you for the honor of your good wishes as you persevered! Keep going strong and let us know! it is great to hear good news.
      WithHope

• May 25, 2008 at 9:42 am

Kiwi,
      How awesome!!! I am so happy you have reached your personal milestone. Even though you are still on treatment as you mentioned, I have to disagree with your assesment of it not being a success story. You are a true example of success. YOu have set your goals and conquered them! How strong you are! What a great example for your kids!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      May 25, 2008 at 1:11 pm

I agree with Dawn Kevies Mom…you [I]are[/I] a success story! What inner strength and determination you’ve shown your children and all of us! Success comes from within and you proved today you are a success. Cherish this moment and thanks for sharing your story with us! When one of us succeeds, we ALL succeed!
      Kristen
      [url]www.cidpandme.blogspot.com[/url]

• Anonymous
      May 25, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Kiwi

You must be so pleased and excited to have completed the run. Admittedly the weather hasn’t been the greatest here in NZ, so more points for perservance!

You absolutely are a success story! It doesn’t matter that you are still taking meds, the point is that you are able to do things again that you weren’t able to do! Mentally that must give you a fabulous lift!!!!

This is a great story, celebrate and have fun!!!! Thanks for sharing

Debs
      😀

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Oh Kiwi, you know you were talking to me for part of it! I am so very proud of you and glad you made the race. I am so envious too but those little things keep me motivated to to keep on trying and keep moving! I am very, very impressed that you completed the race and yes, that is a success story!!!! Congratulations and thanks for the great story:) Gabrielle

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2008 at 1:28 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”5″][COLOR=”Blue”][CENTER]Congratulations Kiwi, you didn’t quit. You never gave up and made it to the finish line.

Hang in there.[/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT].

[CENTER][IMG]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5351/runningcomicxd7.gif[/IMG][/CENTER]

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Congrats Kiwi! What a huge success for you and what a role model for your children. I am so happy for you. Keep putting one leg in front of the other. You go girl.

Also, thanks for honoring your GBS family. It gives me the “warm fuzzies” to feel so close to people I have never met and to some who are a world away. Bless you.

• Anonymous
      May 27, 2008 at 2:37 am

[COLOR=red]That is just AWESOME KIWI!!!!! You are a very successful person!!! And WOW!! What a Great role model for your kids! Keep Up The Great Work!!!:D [/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      May 27, 2008 at 9:49 am

Kiwi Chik: Its encouraging to see you pursuing your dreams… It must be uplifting for the kids to see mom coming thru, and that quitting/failure is not an option…… That cartoon of Jim’s hit the mark for me…. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story with us…deanop