Reply To: Please help me!

Anonymous
July 30, 2009 at 9:51 pm

There isn’t much more that I can add here except to say I have been there. I had GBS many years ago and was the mother of 4 children aged 1-9. It was a challenge for all of us and I can understand your sister’s pain….emotional and physical. i can also understand how her kids and hubby are feeling. I couldn’t see at the time how hard it was on my family. They did not want me to know but I realize now that not only was the illness taking a toll on me, but also a toll on my family.

There is also a disorder often experienced by people who have been in ICU for a long time. They become hypervigilant and can’t sleep due to the trauma going on around them both personally and within the ICU. She needs counselling and meds to deal with this issue. Please consult a dr. and a counsellor for her.

Hang in there. It does get better…GBS…Getting Better Slowly. I was totally paralyzed and on life support. 26 years later, I work, raised my family, am enjoying my grandkids. I have residuals but they for the most part, are a part of the person I am today. I live a good life and make the most of what has been given to me.

Please wish your sister well for me.

Best always…..