Reply To: newbie with questions….

Anonymous
June 6, 2008 at 10:45 am

Hi David, Welcome to The Family. Just my take on your questions-No Your daughter is at no higher risk than anybody else in the world, of coming down with gbs. Numbness and tingling-normal to have it as a residual-I still have it since my first paralysis in Aug 05. Effects of ivig, has nothing to do with vaccines of any sort, are possible menigitis (I had it on my second day of infusion) or headaches, flu like symptoms, hives etc- to help prevent sideeffects some people premedicate with Tylenol and Benadryl. As for vaccines in the future, if you read the important notices that comes with the vaccines, you will see a sentence that states-If you have/had gbs in the past, do not receive this vaccine—it is not recommended for anyone with a history of gbs/cidp. As for coming down with gbs more than once-it is possible, others on here have had it multiple times, as well as myself-5 hospital stays for paralysis. I am now dx with cidp, and am currently in another flare up. I find it hard to do somethings with my fingers, especially during my flare ups-I leave my button down shirts buttoned and just take them off over my head-alot faster and easier. My bp goes up and down, currently its up, but during my paralysis events it drops to below 100/70 usually 80/50-which is extremely low for me. Since it is controlled by parts of the body that you have no control over, it can get messed up also. Keep a positive attitude and your recovery will follow, sometimes it takes alittle longer than you want it to, but it will come. Since you have one autoimmune disorder, don’t be surprised if you come down with more. Take Care.