anti-MAG IgM

January 15, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Thanks Allaug and Norb for good sound advice and explanations.
After reading both of your replies, I believe that I should wait for my next appointment in mid Feb and at that time ask for
1. blood tests to include the different globuline levels
2. a retest of the anti-MAG IgM.
This last test is done, I think in Missouri. Our medical system pays for the testing which apparently costs about $600. The only cost to me is the Purolator which is $50.
Norb, you mentioned that your anti-MAG levels were 15 times normal. When I was last at the doctor’s, they told me mine were 30 times normal. I have not seen the absolute result and will ask for it the next time I’m there.

On another note, today was the worst day for me so far in terms of numbness. While walking in bare feet, I did not feel confident with my balance. So I can state without a doubt that the Rituxan has not yet kicked in, but that will take time and maybe another series of treatments given the elevated levels of anti-MAG initially. I hope I don’t sound depressed because I am not (yet). Maybe if the whether is better tomorrow, the numbness will be better as well!! And there is no pain, which is a blessing after reading what some on this forum are going through.

By the way, I came across another trial in the use of Rituxan for the treatment of Neuropathy with anti-Mag antibodies. It was being conducted by the NINDS in Bethesda, but on further searching I found a site whcih indicated that the study had been completed. [url][/url]
I wonder how we could get the findings of this trial?? I’ll see what I can find out.