Reply To: Covid 19 Vaccine

August 20, 2021 at 7:57 pm

Hello,
I am a 58 yr. old male that is 18 months post GBS diagnosis and my short 8 day stay in the ICU.  Mine was rapid onset, caught and treated early and I consider myself lucky.  Doubt I will ever be close to 100% but I’ll take 75 – 80% as it could have been much worse so I am thankful.  No provider can definitively say what brought it on nor are they even willing to discuss or speculate.  Was it the flu shot (doubtful that was 8 weeks prior), an infection or illness (wasn’t sick) but I did have a minor surgery 2 weeks prior.  The research I have done I suspect it was the Ciprofloxacin they gave me during surgery.  So here I am, I work for a hospital (remote for the most part) and last week they mandated all employees get vaccinated.  For me, I am going for a medical exemption as there is no way I am potentially putting myself back in the position to get a recurrence of GBS.  I weighed the statistics of GBS vs. Covid (for me personally) and the choice was clear.  If nobody can definitively tell me what caused my GBS they sure as hell can’t definitively tell me I’ll be fine with the vaccine.