Reply To: Cidp after Covid

January 8, 2021 at 4:52 am

Hi Pammy
I agree with Mike to some extend.
Prednisone is probably the esasiest accessible and should take the edge of it right away after 12 hours. Of course doctors always want to get you off it a.s.a.p. but it should get you through the worst over the next few months.
If your current condition is covid related then you could expect it to last several months since I heard a lot about people having a long recovery time so it seems to hang around quite a bit.
I found a dose around 50mg very effective. Lower than 40mg does not do as much.
Other drugs like Cellcept can take a long time to work (months according to my immunologist) and may not do the same.
I believe a general practitioner can prescribe Prednisone, at least that is the case here in Australia. Just shop around.
Of course Plasma exchange would be great but I underdstand it must be very difficult to get these days.
I just got off Prednisone this week after being on it for 5 months.
My own experience is ( and this time my neurologist even agrees) that neuropathies can flare up quite a bit during or after infections, so no surprise to hear you are going through a rough patch.
I hope you get better soon.
It would be interesting to hear how people with CIDP react to the covid vaccine…