Reply To: Granny seeks help for Mentally disabled and deaf adult/child with CIDP

December 6, 2019 at 12:01 pm

I just wrote a long update in another section of this forum intended to help people see a one year positive story about diagnosis and treatment. Positive is a relative term with CIDP but we have learn to look at things differently
Than we used to. I am a caretaker for my lifelong friend and one of the things I think it’s important for you to know is you are the most valuable resource your grandson has. He cannot afford to lose you. Statistically more than 30% of caretakers die before the patient does. You must take commit to taking care of yourself first. I can give you some tips, you can get a counselor through United Way or other local agencies, church, there is help for you at no charge.
You are an amazing person and you are doing a fantastic job of blazing your path through daunting challenges. CIDP is an overwhelming thing to wrap your brain around alone never mind the other issues complicating your situation. Your rampant anxiety is not good for you. You need to get in control of you first of all. Your life and your grandson’s depends on it. Warrior-like people like you – and me – are really good at solving everyone else’s issues. We don’t even acknowledge we too may have issues and it would feel too selfish to draw attention to them if they existed. This is way too much for anyone, even Wonder Woman, to handle alone. Contact me if you like and I’ll suggest things that helped me because so much of where you are is familiar. Your patient is going to need you to be healthy and strong and he is going to need to be too. God bless you and your husband and grandson. There is hope for him to get better!!